VW owners

EweSheep

Flock Mistress
14 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Land of Lincoln
Hubby is looking into getting a city car, a classic VW beetle. My mother had VWs many times over the years when I was younger and it was a neat car despite of the stick shift I hated. Hubby is looking for one on Ebay.
hmm.png
I do admit I love VW Beetles but not sure of the cost and maintaince and insurance expenses I need to know ahead of time. I hate to take on another payment but a city car sounds great to put put around town but not out of town trips. We will save our van for long distance trips.

Hubby went to his bank and they approve of his loan for another car but it would be classified as a "classic" car. Not sure if that is good or not?

How are the insurance rates on those kind of cars? We have American Family as our insurers.

Good gas mileage?

Resell value good?

Pros and cons?

Are you speaking VWs in general , or old beetles specifically. VWs in general, yes-holds its resell value very well, mine is a diesel, VERY good gas mileage, I only have liability on my Jetta, so couldn't help you there. Old beetles--don't know, hope someone else comes along to help you out.

I loved mine, great gas mileage, fun to drive; wish I still had it. In Georgia, the classic car status makes the license plate cheaper. Liability insurance should not be very high; not sure about other types of coverage.

If it is just you and your spouse and maybe one kid, a bug might not be a bad idea. But remember, there have been a lot of changes to cars since the bug, like anti lock brakes and air bags.

For what it is worth, I got $1,800 in trade in value in 1980 for my 1973 super beetle. They still sell for more than twice that now.

I sure wish I had hung on to that car.

Rufus

Back
Top Bottom