1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

w/ chickens vs w/ other quail species ?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dingo, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen many pics of cots with buttons and mention of bobs w/ cots. So whats the difference between keeping different quail species together vs keeping quail w/ chickens? Am I wrong to assume that a button can carry the same diseases that chickens, cots, and bobs can carry?

2. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Actually - yes - the assumption is incorrect. [​IMG]
    There are viruses that are specific not only to chickens, but even to different species of quail.
    (Just learned this stuff during the last couple of weeks reading on here. [​IMG] )

From what I gather, chickens and quail are frowned upon because of possible transmission of disease and different species of quail may be together under certain conditions, but aggression is more the problem.

If you need more specifics, I'm sure those with more experience than I will help! [​IMG]

(edited for spelling)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  3. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Exactly, so whats the difference? if you have button (or some other species) that are possible disease vectors, and you house them with another species that could become ill from the buttons(or whatever species), whats the difference between that and keeping the quail with chickens?

4. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I have to disagree with the above, all viruses, diseses, ect. that I know of that affect chickens will affect any gallifourm (quail, pheasant, chickens, and turkeys) some will affect anything that breathes. No quail has the immunity that chickens have. The danger of keeping quail with chickens is that chickens can carry their whole life and never show it but, if quail of any kind are kept with carrier chickens, they won't be for long because it will most likely wipe them out in a couple weeks. Quail will show signs of whatever they have, so you know if they're sick. That is the big gamble/debate, you don't know if your chickens are carriers and if so of what. I hope that helps.

5. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Quote:DO QUAIL GET MAREKS? WHAT ARE SOME OF THE DISEASES THAT CHICKENS CARRY THAT CAN BE TRANSMITTED TO QUAIL?

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:DO QUAIL GET MAREKS? WHAT ARE SOME OF THE DISEASES THAT CHICKENS CARRY THAT CAN BE TRANSMITTED TO QUAIL?

IN A HURRY BUT WE'LL START WITH THE MYCOPLASMA ILLNESSES FOR 1 AND NEW CASTLE'S FOR 2.... THE LIST GETS LONGER FROM THERE

7. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Coccidiosis, Respitory Viruses, Blackhead....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by