WA St - Brother died last night. Need companion for goat. How can we reduce stress until we find a

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by friendlyearth, Feb 15, 2017.

1. friendlyearth

friendlyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    Snowy has not left her brother's side since he got sick on Monday. We thought he was better last night, but he was dead this morning. Both were born here ( posted BYC in 2009 when they were born) so I think rehoming her would be too stressful. She is on the shy/nervous side. We are downsizing and really don't want to add more animals, but we do have a commitment to Snowy.

The only goat rescues are 2-3 hours away and they have bonded pairs, horns, or are boers. Snowy is a small medium size goat.

I am worried about her stress level. Any ideas on how to help her adjust to being alone until we can find a companion.

I would be out there with her but am home sick today with a horrible cold.

Thanks!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Do you have any other animals that can be company? If you don't want another goat than she should eventually adjust. She wouldn't bond with another goat the same way as her brother anyways. I think she will be upset for a bit but will eventually get used to being alone. There's always a single animal left when downsizing. I agree being rehomed will probably be more stressful. Give her time and see how she adjusts before you decide to add another goat or not.

1 person likes this.
  3. braehedge

braehedge Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    Try checking online for sale sites. Also, local farmers/breeders often sell mixed breed bucks/whethers cheap, if you catch them early enough. Try a stockyard too, you'll be surprised what you can find.

4. braehedge

braehedge Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    Pay lots of attention to her for the next week or so. Do you know why her brother died?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This.

I'd sure not rush out to get another goat. Look at the posts where folks do that with their chickens, it usually causes way more hassle and stress.

Just let her be for a few weeks at least.

1 person likes this.
  6. friendlyearth

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    No, we don't. We used to have 3 goats and 3 horses, but now we only have her.

Thank you!

7. friendlyearth

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    Yes, he broke into the duck pen and ate the food so I am guessing toxicity. He seems better Tuesday night, but was dead Wednesday morning.

8. friendlyearth

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    My preference would be an older one rather than a young one.

9. friendlyearth

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    Yes, that is the hard thing to figure out. She has never been alone and is out there crying all the time. I am sick this week so have not been able to be out there except to give her a treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by