WA State Chicken People--Best Coop/Run Set-up??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PugetCountry, Oct 27, 2013.

1. PugetCountry

PugetCountry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Olympia, WA
    I live in western WA and have only had chickens since May. I don't have my permanent coop yet but I need to get on it soon. The moisture in the air is already causing mold/damp issues.

I looked for the WA specific thread but didn't see much for coops.

What do you do that helps keep things dry? What style of coop have you found works best.

Thanks for any links, tips, or pictures.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Favorite:
    plastic shed

2nd Favorite:
    4 x 4 Purina coop

3rd Favorite:
    metal shed

Least favorite:
    Chicken Hutches and rabbit hutches

I have to bleach my coop out once a year (take precautions not to breathe it in and allow to dry before allowing chickens back in...I do a rinse with water as well).

My metal shed coop rains out condensation all winter...but I find that it is tops for ease of bleaching. I use sand on the floor...just a sprinkle and scrape daily then scoop with kitty litter scoop. Works great.

My plastic shed is warmer and has less condensation from the fog. I like it better (but have no chickens in it currently) for that reason but both sheds require one door open in summer for getting the heat out. When plastic sheds are new they outgas for the first few months...that is an awful phase.

My current favorite coop is a 4 x 4 Purina coop (adaptation of a Purina coop) that I built and is made of wood. It will not be so easily bleachable (mold soaks into wood) but with the sand being 2 inches deep makes for easy daily scooping with no stooping. As far as moisture goes, I haven't seen rainout in there yet as we have been dry for a bit. I do have a light bulb on a thermocube so hopefully will keep a bit dry from that. But with the fog as you know it will be wet.

So if I could do it all over again, I'd not have the metal shed...only the plastic one and the wooden one.

For standing around on cold days indoors, the plastic shed is great shelter for the flock. Also then I am out of the rain when scooping poo out of sand.

I have to use netting overhead with my plastic shed as for some reason the placement of the pop door has invited both an owl and a hawk inside the shed before (they flew away after I opened the door). With the netting overhead there is no problem with this.

I have gone to sand in the nest boxes too (covered kitty litter pans). With the floor of the shed being wet around the edges, I keep the sand scraped away from those wet spots otherwise I am tossing too much sand daily.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I would think that the best design for that climate would be very big eaves, so no rain gets in, walls at least half wire so there is enough air circulation so that mold won't get too bad, and an insulated roof, so no condensation dripping off of it in the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by