Waaaaa! Sniff...She stole my heart-my scissor beak baby

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cluckette, May 19, 2010.

1. Cluckette

Cluckette Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Stapleton, AL
    When my new chicks were six weeks old, I noticed one of my Jersey Giants lower beak was beginning to turn to one side. After researching here and online, I found it a genetic condition called "scissor-beak." Of all my 19 chickens, this one decided she had to be with me everywhere I went. When I'd drive up in the driveway from work, she run across the yard and up to my car door to greet me and fly up on my shoulder and snuggle. In other words she stole my heart and bcame my favorite...my baby.

My husband George suggested he go ahead and "cull" her because he could see that the outcome was not going to be good. Even though I hand fed her and tried to provide the best feeding dishes for her handicap, she was not gainning weight and was literally feathers & bones. But I was determined to get weight on her and make allowances anyway needed. It seemed even when I fed her soft scrambled eggs that she just couldn't keep or get anything down. She would make these little soft chirping sounds almost like a cat's purr when I paid her attention or tried to force feed her. She knew I was trying to help her.

I named my little 12 week old Edwina Scissor Beak...a name I got off this site from someone else who had a scissor beak. Edwina would follow me into the house and sit at my feet in the kitchen while I washed dishes. I would come home from work and find her in my husbands lap on the front porch enjoying the attention and petting. One of those "special" animals that prefer people to their own. She loved me and I loved her. She made me look forward to each day just to be greeted by her and enjoy our walks through the garden together.

Edwina passed away this past Saturday 5-15-2010. She's buried in my garden with a cross on her grave. I know in my heart that there are animals in heaven and I hope she will be there to greet me as she always has.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Aww, hugs to you. That was a very extreme cross beak.........you did your best.

3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Poor little girl........Im sure you did the best you could for her and even if her life was short, at least it was happy. I have a bantam cochin chick that has a crossed beak although it is not as bad as your girls was.

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    So sorry to hear of your loss [​IMG] I have always had a soft spot for the weak, sick or deformed ones... And it always hurts just a little more when they pass.

Im sure she had a lovely life while you cared so well for her.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Sorry about the loss of your little Edwina....

6. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    You made me cry. Why is it that the ones (all animals) that don't have long on this earth that become so special to us? It's like they need to get all the love they can while they're with us.

I am so sorry. I know how hard it is.

7. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    that is a cull.

8. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

She was not a cull...she was a reminder that we are responsible for creatures sent to serve us...
    ...and that so much can be given by those less than perfect.

My old boy Pug is buried in my flower garden. I had him 13 years.
    His life was a lot shorter then my loving memories of him will be.

Sounds like sweet little Edwina completed her job on earth...
    ...of reminding us that not everyone, or everything is perfect...
    But none the less is deserving of care, and love.

9. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Quote:Well said. [​IMG]

10. Cluckette

Cluckette Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Stapleton, AL
    Quote:This made me cry...exactly the way I feel. Sad but true... sometimes animals bless us with unconditional love much greater than our human counterparts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by