WAAAAAHHHHH - I've got a roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TheSpiceGirls, Jan 27, 2011.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] I've posted photos of my Cuckoo Marans before asking if it was a girl or boy and the majority of you said she was a he. I know that Marans can be a challenge to sex and so I was hopeful that my sweet Poppy would indeed grow up to lay me beautiful chocolate eggs. But last night, I was looking at her and finally came to terms. She's a he. Who am I trying to kid. No crowing yet. But no hen has feet that big! And he's starting to get pointy saddle feathers.

I'm so torn as to what to do next. I can't keep a rooster where I live. So do I wait until he crows and then scramble? Or try to get rid of him now? I only have the four chickens and each are very special and I want four. So to part with one and go down to three is heart breaking for me. I don't want to raise one baby chick. And I don't really want to deal with introducing a pullet to the flock.

I'm thinking I'll wait and see if my 4 month old Buff Orpington goes broody this summer and then do the old bait and switch routine and tuck a new chick under her and hope she'll raise as her own.

I just had to vent to people who will understand.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    oh yes, a pretty young roo you got there XD Do you live in the city?

3. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:Yep. I'm in the city so I'm fine till he starts crowing. Sigh...

4. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    It is hard to say this, as I can't imagine parting with any of my "chicken friends", but the sooner you get rid of him, the better...

If he starts crowing (and looks like he will soon), then someone could complain about your chickens and you could lose them all [​IMG]

5. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    hmm, It could be quite a drive to get him to someone who can keep roosters. My local feed store takes my extra roosters...

6. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Yea, I'll post tonight to see if anyone wants to take him for their flock. I know it's a long shot. But I'm going to try.

If not, then I'll just have to turn a blind eye on this one. Sigh... Really breaks my heart and I think it's going to rock the other three hens world. They all get along so well. Here's a photo of them napping in the sun together last weekend.

[​IMG]

7. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:Thats too bad.Looks like his women like him.I would try to keep him if I were you for the mere fact they love him. [​IMG]

8. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:Thats too bad.Looks like his women like him.I would try to keep him if I were you for the mere fact they love him. [​IMG]

Oh, And I'd love to keep him. They are all so close and get along like they all hatched out of the same egg. But once he crows, the gig is up and I'll have animal control knocking at my door.

9. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just try and talk him out of ever crowing... some roosters don't you know... maybe you'll have one of them. [​IMG]

10. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:Seriously?!? Is this true? I was doing some research online to see if this was true but everything I found said not to kid myself that all roosters crow.

I would totally keep him if he didn't crow. He's always been quiet as can be. The only sounds he makes is this very soft and very high pitched squeek when I come to bring them treats.

Or am I just delaying the enevitable and at 8 or 12 months suddenly, he'll be crowing all day long?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by