Wacky crooked coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by salunra, Jul 16, 2012.

1. salunra

salunra Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Cincinnati
    I asked my husband (who is a props artisan for our local playhouse) to help me with building a chicken coop. After scrapping many sets up plans, I thought we had settled on a simple 6x8 shed with a slanted roof. Then he had a bout with insomnia and spent the night researching playhouses for our kids. Well, too much time and an overly creative carpenter can make for interesting. He decided he wanted to build a wonky playhouse for the boys and is using my coop as a prototype. Here is the progress so far: DAY 1 Supports [​IMG] Subfloor [​IMG] Linoleum [​IMG] Back wall [​IMG] Front wall with door and window [​IMG] Side wall with window [​IMG] Other side with window [​IMG] And a bonus picture of my great pyrenees, Nanuk, watching over a pair of 5 week old Swedish flower hens. [​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I think it looks great. That's a very unique coop! [​IMG]

3. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

4. SusanRenee

SusanRenee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2012
    Hauser, ID
    Keep putting up more pics! Looking forward to seeing the end result!!

5. salunra

Nov 5, 2010
    Cincinnati
    We have been fighting with the roof today, but seem to be making some progress this evening. So hopefully we will get some of the roof framed in today. :)

6. DeannaOR

DeannaOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Colton, Oregon
    We could barely get a regular one up, lol. I've seen some wonky playhouses and commented that I would love a coop like that..he just scoffs at me!

Great job, can't wait to see more =)

7. Tree Rat

Tree Rat New Egg

Jul 14, 2012
    Buckingham, VA
    [​IMG] Great job so far!

8. ImportTheBest

ImportTheBest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    Lex, KY
    Wow! I can't wait to see it done! [​IMG]

9. lukieseggs

lukieseggs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2012
    IL
    i dont think i could do any better than that. i know i would take that as a coop any day. by the way it looks pretty good

10. salunra

Nov 5, 2010
    Cincinnati
    There are some times when being married to a professional carpenter can be a useful thing. ;) If we had built a regular shed I would probably be painting it by now. As it is after a couple trips of trips to the hardware store and much swearing and throwing of hammers, we finally got some of the roof supports up. Hoping to finish the trusses today and start the siding. DAY 2 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by