Wacky hatch (pics)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BooBear, Nov 4, 2011.

1. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    My sweet Coronation Sussex eggs that I had bought from BYC auction are in lock down. Today is day 21 and I came home to find a bright eyed curious baby girl peeping at me. I was so happy to see her. Then I noticed the egg she zipped out of was zipped right down the middle! Wow, how did she do that? Cus I thought they only hatch well from the big end of the egg.

I have another egg that has made a nice pip with air hole on the small end of the egg. This baby is currently resting. I am hoping she makes her zip out ok, but will watch in case she needs a bit of help.

Anyone else experience unusual hatches that they were not expecting?

Ok adding pics, kinda hard as they were playing eggball with their sleeping siblings so the pics are a bit blurry. As soon as these 2 girls are dry enough I am taking them to their new momma in the broody pen that currently has a couple of week old babies. One of her chicks is a soft yellow with racing stripes so these 2 should blend in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. leghornlover@123

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    post pics:D

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    As soon as my battery is done charging I will get some pics.

I had to help the chick that pipped on the wrong end. She zipped a little but was stuck due to not enough room on the narrow end. She is drying in the bator right now. The first chick is running around making happy chirps that her sister is out.

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Yesterday afternoon I noticed both chicks appeared dry enough to go to the brooder pen in the coop.
    So I made some scrambled eggs mixed with chick start to distract the currrent residents so the new chicks could hopefully be accepted. (yep I used bribery)
    Everyone got excited over the treat! Boobear however, did not like the new babies and was being mean to them. I took her out of the broody pen leaving Blueberry to care for all of the babies. Blueberry took the new chicks under her wings as her own. Her 2 chicks that she had were even being sweet to the new chicks. Blueberry even took Boobear's 1 chick under wing. I think she was even giving Boobear the hahaha smug look.This is Blueberry's 2nd time raising babies.

Here are some pictures of the integration. The 2 yellow chicks are the Sussex chicks. The white chick with cool pattern is an EE mix (Silkie Roo x Ameraucana hen) and the darker black n blue chicks are Wyandottes.I spent most of the afternoon watching the family. The EE chick would mimic her momma by giving the new chicks food. It was sooo cute.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    I had a baby zip in the small end, and it had a little trouble coming out, but i when i did finally help it out it had a dead leg, i dont know if it was bc of the person i got the egg from had bad genes bc they were a test mix. but i am hatching some of my bantams and ameraucana eggs and i am living them tipped with the big end in the air as that is what i have read works best. keep me updated on how the baby does!

6. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    awe your poor baby. Did she survive with the bad leg?
    My baby that hatched fromt the wrong end was still a bit wobbly when she joined the group; but, Blueberry, who is a truely good momma, covered her and kept her warm and just accepted her along with her sister. I think she will be ok as she is getting stronger. I am fixing to go check on everyone this morning.

7. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    I love this thread and hope that some more people join in with tales of their wacky hatches!
    As for me, I just hatched for the first time Friday night, so no wacky hatches yet. The kids and I had put in three tiny eggs from our bantam cochin/leghorn X, and ended up with one tweeny weeny chicklet! Seriously, it is the most redonkulously tiny thing I have ever seen. I named it Sherlock. It seems to be doing well, and is in the brooder with the six other chicks that we picked up from Meyer on Halloween. I was worried that the others would bully the tiny chick, but they accepted it right away! We thought that the others were tiny until we saw Sherlock...Sherlock makes them look like Godzillas by comparison.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread [​IMG] I am looking forward to reading more, and here's to many more healthy "wacky hatches" in the future!

8. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    I would love to see a pick of Sherlock.

I checked on the babies and they are doing great. Even the wrong end chick is running about playing with the others.
    I would love to hear about other folks wacky hatches too!

9. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    Here's Sherlock:

[​IMG]

He/she was hatched late Friday night, but the wing feathers are already coming in...I hope it's a girl!

10. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i had a chick pip. and not one miniute after he piped he zipped and i saw the egg jerk real hard and the chick popped out!. it took it 3 min to hatch. seriously. the chick was up and walking right when it got out. it didnt even rest like all my other chicks. it was up chirping away. its my strongest most curious chick. i named it popcorn. its the light chick

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by