wacky legislation... call your state reps!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by wegotchickens2, Dec 6, 2008.

1. wegotchickens2

wegotchickens2 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2008
    Sandpoint, N. Idaho
    Hello everyone!

I just stumbled upon this a few days ago and had to search a little bit around the web for more info... here it is. Please read this.The link is from a credible site that advocates for family/small farmers and ranchers. Many of you may already be aware of the site and this issue. For those here that may not be aware, this may affect many of us who keep livestock for our own consumption or pleasure, or even as an extra source of small income. Read it and let's talk about it!

What NAIS is:
    http://farmandranchfreedom.org/content/

Federal updates:
    http://farmandranchfreedom.org/content/federal-updates

This is upsetting!!! [​IMG]:rant:barnie:tongue

2. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

Just scanned the information as I am so tired right now. What I think I see is government telling us we must register our animals with them, and let them know if they get sick. Is that right?

3. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    There are many on this site that feel very strongly about this issue for sure...I'm sure they will ring in.

4. wegotchickens2

wegotchickens2 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2008
    Sandpoint, N. Idaho
    Yes, jaybme, that is part of it.

But there is also something much more suspect here going on. It may be about government intrusion into your life and mine. We have a right to have animals to feed ourselves. I do not have diseased animals, and make sure it is so. Like many back yard growers, my flock has no contact with outside flocks, so this is a moot point for many. I know you are tired, but when rested please read up on this issue more and see how it pertains to YOU. Want to pay a fee to the feds or state to have every member of your flock chipped? If your bird dies or needs to be moved for medical attention, and you do want to be REQUIRED to notify the feds or state within 24 hrs, OR ELSE pay a fine, or have your flock confiscated? This is not hysteria, these are the realities. As we know, the Gov't has a great way of cloaking words and spinning things not to say what they really are saying. I do not mean to get political but I can't trust em as far as I can throw 'em. Just look at the agri-business in the US and western world. ME, having my own eggs & meat (IF I wish) takes away at least as I figure it $800 a year from big agri-biz.... times that by all of us here.. a BIG loss for them. The USDA and big agri-biz are tied together bigtime.. do you see?

5. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    You're correct. It's wacky...it's been in the making for some time, though.

I refuse.
    That's all there is to it.

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    This has been an on-going dicussion here for quite some time.

A quick search for NAIS brings up a ton of NAIS threads.

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by