"Wad of Bubble Gum Comb" in silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Oct 21, 2009.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Can you breed that out? I have a single black cockerel/roo, no color faults in his plumage, shreddy tail and decent wing carriage, spectacular toe separation, good temperament, and even a quiet crow. His comb is just too much. Takes up half his forehead. Plus he has sorta purplish wattles that are too big and noticeable. My only other up and coming roo looks like he will have smaller darker wattles and smaller comb, but you don't know until the fat lady sings, do you? I will keep bubble gum guy until the younger roo grows out, just as insurance if nothing else, but my question is, does he pass on his comb and wattle faults to a high degree to his offspring? How does comb/wattle score against the rest of the bird, which is pretty nice.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

LOL, nothing to add, but that's a great descriptor to a bad walnut comb!

3. eekgads

eekgads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Central VA
    Is the bubble gum roo a bearded or non-bearded?

4. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    What exactly does a bubblegum silkie comb look like? I'll show you a prune comb......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Oh lawdavmercy! Mine is not that bad. It is deep purplish black, wattles slightly more purple, not as big as those shown. And okay, his comb only takes up a THIRD of his forehead then, by comparison to this roo above, LOL. I will try to get a pic. I have not charged my camera in a while and need to find a charger for it.

Edit to add, he is bearded.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  6. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:[​IMG] That poor guy must be top-heavy! [​IMG]

7. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Poor Silver-everybody is laughing at him! [​IMG]

8. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I love him though! He gets to free range today ONLY because I don't have to work, and it takes an hour of running to catch him. [​IMG]

9. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    So he would be a purple cap (kinda like the red caps) but silkied and lavender with 5 toes, feathered feet, a beard, and way off type, LOL.

10. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    A walnut comb is what a silkie is SUPPOSED to have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by