Waddle bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by minksroost, Feb 15, 2013.

1. minksroost

minksroost Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Richmond, Virginia
    I have some Blu-kote that I used on the foot of one of my roos. But this morning I noticed another roo who is kept separate right now is bleeding quite bad from his waddle. Blu Kote was the first thing I thought but has anyone put this on the waddle before? Would you spray it on your own hand and apply with your finger? I''m concerned about the blood as well. I certainly don't want the others to be trying to peck at him through the crate. We are waiting for his coop/area to be finished so he can be free once more : ) Or would something like neosporin be better. I thought that might just make a blob of mess. Any suggestions?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would put a little flour or corn starch on the wound along with pressure til it stopped bleeding. Then I would use the BluKote. It's an antiseptic that's been around for many years. I can't believe it would do any more harm on a wattle than on skin -- which I'm guessing is also skin, anyway.

3. minksroost

minksroost Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Richmond, Virginia
    Thanks "Flockwatcher". I'm heading down to try the blu-kote now if the bleeding has stopped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by