1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Waddles a sign of laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LizGled628, Oct 31, 2010.

1. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I went away for the weekend and upon my return I found that my BR and RIR have developed waddles! I'm sure they were there before, but they look much more pronounced than I remember. Is that a good sign that they might start laying soon? We're going on 23 weeks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Getting closer. My BR were still redder in the face with slightly bigger combs when they started laying.

(Don't get me started on the one who laid for a month and has been on strike for 2 months)

3. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Oh no! Thanks for the tip. Nice to know there is some progress!

4. bjash

bjash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Moline, MI
    My RIRs have huge wattles now (they started laying on Labor Day--go figure!).

I remember a few weeks after they started laying we noticed that they were really big then.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Ducks waddle, chickens have wattles:lol:. They are getting there. When combs and wattles are triple that size, you will be getting eggs. Have patience.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    They all choose their own day to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by