Wade Jean Marans chicks - when do they lose white feathers?

palrusty12

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2017
Lovettsville, VA
Hello all! I hope I'm not repeating a thread, but I've spent over an hour searching through the forums to avoid doing so... but I have what I hope is a quick question:

I have 16 Wade Jean line Black Copper Marans chicks at 4 weeks old now. When should they be losing the white on their faces and white primary feathers in the wings?

About half have lost all their white, a few are still transitioning in their fluff, but I have a couple who are either still "penguin" looking (totally my made up term) in the face and/or have a white first primary feather.

I also have what seems to definitely be a cockerel who is retaining a lot of grey fluff. Would this line produce a blue, or is this typical of the cockerel development?

Mostly I'm watching and worried about those white primary wing feathers....

Thanks for any of your insights!!

In my experience with BCMs it will have more reddish Copper than gray on cockerel. By about 10-12 wks most of the feathering will be more obvious on both sexes. On gray feathers, my blue Marans had shown mossy gray feathers @6-8 wks. One of my favorite, with dark brown eggs.

My cockerel didn't loose his white primaries until his first most, but my pullets never "grew' white primary feathers.

Back
Top Bottom