Wade Jean marans question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by berkeleysprings, Dec 10, 2009.

1. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Where wade jean’s Marans come from in particular the wheaten Marans if he had them
    And what about Ron Presley and bev Davis and buddy hennery
    and at what point in time did they get them ?
    i was wondering how it all ties together if at all

2. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Why don't you just ask the people involved?
    Much better than the gossip & innuendo you might get on a forum.
    Just my thoughts
    David

3. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think those are great questions. I think a lot of people assume that everyone knows who people are and where this breed or that line of birds came from. I will be looking forward to hearing any info that anyone can share about on this topic. And if the breeders in question are members & will share thier info directly, that would be really interesting.

4. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    You might want to ask Wynette (admin) - she raises really nice Jersey Giants, and can give you some insight... might help if you can tell her why you're asking (are you looking for a partiular strain?)

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I agree 100%

bev davis has her own yahoo chat group you can ask her directly there.

Ron Presley doesn't say much on public forums anymore and is rather gun shy and disgusted about the whole Marans drama and what is happening to the breed. Other than that he is a great guy and has alot of knoweldge. I have always enjoyed chatting with him

I don't know alot about Buddy Henry, I haven't spoken with him but I do know that he now has Ron's line of BCM's.

Steve in NC

6. berkeleysprings

from what i understand is wheaten of
    Ron Presleycame from a sport colored chick thrown from the Kellerman Line of Cuckoo Marans

7. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:Sorry, I'm catching up on a few old posts.

Wheatens appear in black copper flocks, not cuckoo. This happens both in American Marans and in French. They aren't "sports" -- it's just a recessive trait that pops up every now and then.

8. berkeleysprings

What i should of said was
    from what i read fron the back woods poultry web site is wheaten of
    Ron Presleycame from a sport colored chick thrown from the Kellerman Line of Cuckoo Marans

9. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:I thought about it more, and of course you're right that wheaten *could* hide in a flock of cuckoos in the same way it hides in black coppers. The principle is the same -- wheaten is recessive to E (the gene that cuckoo is based on), so cuckoos can be carrying wheaten without showing it. It's much more common, though, for it to appear out of bc flocks.

I hate it, though, when people (not you, I'm talking about the Backwoods site) throw around terms like "sport" so casually. When a recessive color shows up in a flock, it is almost never really a "sport" (a new mutation). It's almost always actually just a recessive gene that has been floating around in the flock undetected.

Getting off my soapbox now! [​IMG]

10. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Just a couple of points to ponder. Cuckoos have been in the US for a very long time, they originated in the main from English stock, Wheaten is not and never has been a recognised colour, or ever found in English Marans. Due to ignorance (or carelessness) Wheaten and Brown-Red (Copper black) Marans have been/& still are bred,being similar in coloring, together on French farms & small holdings. Many of the original imports of eggs from France to the US where,apparently, eggs bought at farmers markets.
    Make your own conclusions.
    David

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by