Wafer Help :) I have no clue what im doing lol

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monarc23, Jan 30, 2009.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Hi all,
    I'm hoping someone knows what my problem is here. [​IMG] Alllright lets start from the begining. My incubator is NEW TO ME, it's a Sears Roebuck 70 some year old cabinet incubator. I LOVE IT. When I first got it home it took me only 5 minutes to adjust the temp and it kept that temp for atleast a week with barely ANY fluctuations (it had some fraction fluctations or whatever you'd call it, but other than thta it was great). The temp in my room has raised because of the incubator which is fine, but for some reason yesterday, it made my incubators temperature raise up pretty darn high....I fought with it all day and all night (didnt lay down until 5 am- but still got up several times to reopen this vent or lower the temp again....).

If it matters for you to help me this is exactly what the wafer looks like: http://www.meyerhatchery.com/get_item_59s_wafer-w-switch-for-booders.htm

Anywho
    what im getting at is I think the wafer went bad if that's possible? I dont know practically ANYTHING about wafers and I can only seem to find info on where to buy extras, not how they are and such.

If I try to lower the temp, I hear this electrical "buzzing" sound I don't know it's supposed to scream like that when it gets lowered or not. The pamplet I got with this old thing is only about how to incubate...not how to fix problems.

I got a replacement wafer with it brand new----so I took the old one out and it does look like there was something wrong with the old one, it's plates were expanded, and the screw thing protruding...on the new one it's flat when not heated or whatever, and the screw is down inside of it and I was able to easily screw it on.....so *MAYBE* i fixed the problem I don't know.

I hate playing with electrical stuff like that....and when it buzzes it freaks me out....and I can't even explain where I see this lil blue light coming from when it does it but I am POSITIVE It's not a good thing when it makes that noise.....as it's more like an electrical spark than a blue light.

Can someone give this dumb dumb any ideas what's wrong???? [​IMG]

2. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    Sounds to me like you knew what the problem was, and fixed it.
    Blue light, buzzing sound.. yup, that would be an electrical problem. If when you fixed it, if the bzzz and light stopped, it should be what was wrong, and now its right.
    Ask an electrician, they might know better. lol I hate sparks of any kind!

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:thanks i think you're right too. The temp isnt skyrocketing now, and im not needing to lower it to the "buzzing point" LOL! NOw it's just a matter of getting the temp back UP to incubation temp garh! LOL!

I thought about asking our electrician but he's a slow poke to get around to things as it is (it's his on the side job) so I decided rather than loose my eggs waiting i'd try it myself. Thank God I think i did fix the problem! [​IMG]

4. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    Thats great. I'm sure if the noise stopped, then the problem stopped too. But to be safe, dont mess with that knob again! lol
    Our brooder box has one of those knobs, ya look at it wonky, it buzzes atcha. I dont even look at it anymore. lol

5. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    Wafers go bad ALL the time. Everyone who has a wafer type incubator should always have a spare on hand just for instances like yours. I change mine out every year whether it needs it or not.

Let's just say that wafer went bad at 2:00 am and you didn't notice till 8 or so and you didn't have a spare on hand. What do you think was gonna happen to that bator full of bajillion dollar Marans eggs? LOL!

Sometimes it's easy to see when they're bad, they will stay expanded. Other times they look good, but dont expand enough or at all to work the micro switch.

There was a vendor at a poultry show a couple weeks ago selling new wafers for 6 bucks a piece. I bought 10 of them.

Hope you got it fixed and good luck with the new (old) bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by