Wafer vs Electronic Thermostats for 1202

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by msmeower, Mar 29, 2012.

1. msmeower

msmeower Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Flat Creek, TN
    I am considering changing my GQF 1202 cabinet from wafer thermostats to electronic thermostat. I welcome all comments and suggestions! Should I do it? Is the electronic safer and more reliable? Is it easy to do?

2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I'm happy to see that you haven't given up on the Sportsman. Being frugal, aka cheap my personal choice would be to stay with the wafer setup. After what yours has been through I would replace both of them with new 3122 wafer thermostats direct from GQF. You could even buy a third to keep on hand in the event that it would ever be needed. At this point you would still be at least $20 less than the cost of the electronic thermostat alone. I use 3 1202s and a 1250 hatcher. They are steady and reliable and nothing could ever convince me to switch them to the electronic thermostat
    Wiring either type is pretty straight forward. Just break and make the connections one at a time.
    db

3. msmeower

msmeower Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Flat Creek, TN
    Thank you, dbcooper! An incubator nut came out and looked at mine yesterday. The switch to the regular wafer is bad and the back-up thermostat wafer was set way too high- hence the burn-up of the eggs! So all I need is a new switch but he advised, like you did, to order extra wafers and maybe an extra switch. He also recommended using a wick on my wet thermometer! He advised against the electronic just because he has always had reliability with his wafers....but one of my tabletops has an electronic thermostat and I have the best hatches with it. Cost is not as much a concern as reliability, ease, and prevention of overheating. Would love to hear from someone that switched to an electronic thermostat!

4. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    I didn't switch because my 1502 came with electric. I absolutly love it, stays spot on temp and Humidity. I hooked up a home built 5 gallon water system so I never have to open the bator till Lockdown where I move them to a 1550 hatcher. I've tested it with two different hydrometers and it's accurate. If cost isn't the issue and you want reliability, I personally would do the electronic. Said that, nowdays what isn't cost considered, we all have to watch the pocketbook so I also understand why you would choose Wafer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by