WAHH! No egg today from my leghorn

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobbieschicks, Nov 26, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I admit it - I was so disappointed - I went to check on the babies in the coop and peeked into the nest boxes - nothing! This would have been her 3rd egg. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is it unusual or normal for a leghorn pullet who has just started laying to skip a day?

The changes from yesterday morning to this morning were:
    * I moved the 8 babies (6 week olds) into the coop last night and they slept on the floor under the manure box overhang
    * turned off the heat lamp that was on the lowest setting last night
    * cleaned and sevin dusted the coop and nest boxes before putting everyone back in place yesterday

Could these changes have caused her too much stress so she didn't lay? Was it the lack of light? Or is there possibly a health issue I need to check her for? The egg she laid yesterday had some creamy substance on it - I presumed it was just normal fluids that came out with an egg.

Thanks! I've never had chickens before and was looking forward to the egg-a-day thing.

Oops. Guess I should have waited a bit. Went back out to check on the babies and got to watch Snow White lay her third egg. Way cool!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  2. Nikki82

Nikki82 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
    I have a leghorn/australorp cross that just started laying a few days ago. She laid five days in a row then skipped yesterday, then laid again today. It seems that it's not unusual for pullets who've just started laying to skip a day.

3. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Thanks. I will go back to being patient again. [​IMG]

4. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    or my RIR, or my EE, or my leghorn, etc.
    Still waiting for my first ONE![​IMG]

5. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:I pray yours will start to lay soon.

I'm sorry, I don't want to seem unthankul for my eggs, they are such a gift. I loved finding them in the nest. Before too long I will have three others old enough to lay and then the fun will really start. Trying to figure out who laid which egg. My Ancona will lay smallish white eggs, the other two pullets will be a surprise color because we don't know the breeds. Possibly olive or blue eggs. Anyways they re only 16 weeks old, so I'm hoping for Christmas eggs from them.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Isn't it still early? I've got eggs as late as 3pm from my girls [​IMG]

7. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    They all need to take a break now and again, even the egg-laying "machines" like leghorns.

8. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Yeah, it's still early in the day. They are on a 23 hour egg cycle so you'd expect an egg an hour later each day then skip a day in 9 or 10 for leghorn, sex links, high producers.

9. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:Thanks I'll keep track of that. It makes sense because it was around 7 when I found egg number one and 8 when I got number two. Today it was 9 when she laid egg three. So tomorrow should be 10 for egg four.

10. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Well she was late today. It was 12:30 before she finally laid her egg. Lol. She's doing great so proud of her. Now the Ancona is starting to squat so hopefully she's not far behind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by