Wahoo....does this mean I'll be getting eggs any day??

Chui Cat

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 23, 2009
Pittsboro
My girls are going to be 20 weeks on Monday. We have been checking for an egg from week 17 b/c all our literature says the black sex link could lay between 17-20 weeks. Well. Lucy, one of our RIRs has very red and developed combs/wattles and has been so vocal for that past couple weeks. From the time DH steps out the door she winds up and follows him all around until he gives her something to eat BUT she would not allow him to pet her. Tonight, I went out to the coop with a treat and to check (again), for an egg. Lucy met me in the doorway just squawking her head off and wouldn't let me pass. i reached down to pet her and she squatted, lifted her wings and let me scratch her back!! TWICE!!
celebrate.gif
She then let me pass. Xena (BSL), came over for some treat too, and i tried to pet her, and she squatted, lifted her wings and drummed on the ground. Does this mean they are ready??
fl.gif

none of the others wanted any kind of contact, but i expected that. I'm just so surprised Lucy did it first; we have $$ on when Xena starts.....and this is my week.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Bought 2 fluffy yellow baby chicks from feed store 4/24. They were marked "Ancona" but am sure that was an error as I checked them against Ancona chick coloring on computer. - very different. Think they are Leghorns - and now at l7 weeks look more like Leghorn than anything else(dainty build, white feathers & large red comb). To my surprise they both laid a small white egg (for last 2 days) and they are only l7 weeks old! Have never had chickens that laid before 20 weeks - so I was surprised and pleased!!!

Back
Top Bottom