Wahoo! It's a gully washer in Phoenix tonight!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mahonri, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I know you folks in Iowa and the midwest don't want to hear about it, but it's such a rare thing for us to get rain, when it does, we celebrate.

I don't think this storm is as good as the one last Thursday night (at least not for us) but it looks like the folks on the west side of town are getting a real live gully washer! We need to recharge our aquifers and this is truly a great blessing from heaven.... not only that but instead of 107 tomorrow (normal) we'll be lucky to get above 95 tomorrow. Gotta love it!

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* [​IMG] nice! We were pretty happy last week when Lake Okeechobee got back over 1O feet deep for the first time in over a year. 1O.2! (Ed: feet! Not inches! Lol.)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  3. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Rain in July! I'm *impressed*! [​IMG]

The weather here has been pretty humid this week; I wondered where all our clouds were coming from. And I just heard there's a chance of a thunderstorm Friday/Saturday.
    I hope I hope I hope.

So unusual... and fun!

Carla
    in dry/hot southern California

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Hopefully, you'll get enough to slow down a few fires out there!!

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Congrats, we got rain too, a lot!

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Radar shows more coming our way with in the next hour and we've already had a bunch since this morning. Whahoo!... My flowers and garden might make it through till September.

7. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Here in Tucson we got a nice gentle rain for a bit. It left about 1.5 inches in my rain gauge!! So... I don't have to water the plants today!! And there is to be more rain today so "they" say. We sure need it!!

Too bad there can't be a water distribution system in the USA where we could "even out" the water so here in AZ we could have nice green gardens.

8. CarlaRiggs

Apparently some of this weather is helping with the fires in northern California.
    ooooo... I'm so envious! I really do hope it rains here, also. Looks like a bit as if it may.

It must feel so nice with the rain there in the desert.

Carla

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    No way, you must be seeing things, LOL. My DD lives in Yuma. Rain is a miracle, and too bad it all comes at once. Enjoy it. Do you have thunder and lightening too?

10. CarlaRiggs

Ah, rats! No clouds in the sky today. [​IMG]
    We generally don't get rain here in southern California during the summer; if we do, it's barely noticeable!

When I was a kid in the 60's, the rainy season was generally early October through April. Now we seem to have about a two/three month season of rain. Not as pleasant. It's usually the same amount of rain, in a much shorter period.
    We are in another drought ~ sigh.
    First we have fires, then too much rain so the barren hills slide down into their neighbors' backyards. Not me, though.. I live where it's flat, but close enough to enjoy hills and mountains. [​IMG]

Carla

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by