Wahoooo!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Morgan7782, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    No eggs yet lol, BUT!!!!

My... guesstimating 28 week old splash blue laced red wyandotte girl Butternut just squatted for the first time for me! [​IMG] and she is VERY VERY red and comby/wattily this morning. YEY! My Brahma went on winter strike and stopped laying a few weeks back, so hopefully Butternut will start the flock laying! [​IMG] I still have 4 egg "virgins" incluing Butternut. Anywho, excited! This is the picture of the girl, the flash was bleaching the color out a bit but she is very red today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and she has TWO Blue tail feathers, the blue that Blue Laced Reds usually are. It's really funny [​IMG] In fact I think only the top halves of the two feathers are blue. Got some pictures check it out!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anywho hopefully eggs soon!

2. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    SOON SOON!!! [​IMG] Gorgeous girl too!

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thanks! I am excited [​IMG] [​IMG] about time and wow right in the middle of winter!

4. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    Yayy Butternut!!! Remember to post pictures! I am excited for you! I still have 4 egg virgins too!

5. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    She is very very pretty! Enjoy your first egg! Won't be long now!!!!

6. KensingtonHens

KensingtonHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    She is very pretty! Thanks for sharing the pictures, especially of her comb and waddles.

I'm still very new to chicken raising and seeing is learning!! I have a 22 wk old Red Star who still does not have any pink on her head and one 10 mo. old EE that hasn't started laying yet. We got her for company for the little Red Star but are hopeful she'll lay.

Do you think it'd be safe to let them range in the backyard after they've been with us for only about 2 weeks?

7. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    If they go into their coop at night without you putting them there then they should be able to free range without wandering too far. I kept mine in the run for 1-2 weeks and now all 5 of them run the backyard [​IMG] I live in an urban area, but the fences are much higher then 8 feet, and they have never given it a look. [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG] Butternut is a very sweet girl. I LOVE the weird blue markings in her tail too, that is so odd. She is a good girl though, and will be getting a huge 8x8 coop (shared between 5-6 hens) in a week or two [​IMG]

EE's can be slow to lay, some going 40+ weeks. I have a 32-34 week old EE with very little comb development and NO interest in squatting lol

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  8. KensingtonHens

KensingtonHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Thanks so much! I'm just so anxious to see an egg or even just to interact with them more. We probably should have waited until spring to get them but too late now...

I just love looking at them in the morning. I have my coffee with them! We are urban as well.

We're going to work on the coop this weekend...my husband forgot to put in a door! And I didn't notice until the next day!! They also are roosting in their box so we need to change that around a bit.

I too am becoming a BYC addict. It's so fun!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  9. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Butternut is beautiful. Eggs soon I bet:))

10. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    new2thebrood: It is exciting [​IMG] and I got my first girls on March 30th this year no eggs yet lol. They are holding out for their new digs. Here is a video of my brahma squatting, she laid her first egg 6 days after [​IMG] so this is what to look for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY82jxksdVc

And
    thank you chcklady! I hope so [​IMG] She is a good girl, very talkative and a lap chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by