1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

waht are we? pic heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bucky1198, Jul 3, 2011.

1. bucky1198

bucky1198 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    colorado
    these are my 1 week old chicks what are they and the white one has a deformed toe what should I do?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    The Black ones look like they Might be Black sex linked and if they are then yours are Females....or it might be a black Cochin (if it has feathers on its feet...i cannot if it does or not in that pic)
    But I am not great at breed type at that young of age, so hopefully someone will come along to help you there...
    But for your chick will curled toe: you need to un-curl it and then cute the sticky ends off a band-air...put one on bottom of foot and the other on top(so they stick together). Press it in between the toes an make a likke walking shoe for the chick..change it if it gets to soiled or wet .

Best Wishes,

Laura [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  3. the black one looks like a cochin, but i don't know about that white one, only time will tell

4. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    black cochin on the black and white one, as for the white one.... well.... there are so many white breeds lol. I do see some coloring in the wings, that may help someone id it for you and the advice that was given about correcting the toe is fantastic and many folks do it here. It does work, as long as you do it early enough.

5. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    black Cochin for the little black chick.My betty looked just like your little one there when she was a baby!

6. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
  7. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    Can't help with the breeds....but I recently fixed a chicks curled toes using the scotch tape shoe method. It worked really well. Only took 2 days for the foot to correct itself. The link posted by Spish has a picture of the scotch tape/band aid method. Just be very gentle with the tiny toes, and carefully straighten them as much as possible before sealing the top piece of tape. Good luck.

8. bucky1198

bucky1198 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    colorado
    thanks everyone for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by