wait she is a she right?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by raiderbabe239, Oct 6, 2009.

1. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is teddy shes 4 1/2 to 5 mos old ive always thought she was a pullet because she got all of her feather faster than the roos i had in the same order and her comb has always been paler and small but now im noticing some iridecent green in the black on her tail feathers and her comb is getting red and she sounds like a hen please say shes a hen =/

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

If she's 4 months or older and her comb is just now getting bigger and redder then she's probably a week or two away from laying eggs. I'd say you're OK.

She would have been crowing by now if she was a he, plus a really big comb.

3. raiderbabe239

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    oh thank goodness i cant have anymore roos lol but shes still so small way smaller than my other cochin hens, maybe shes just a runt?

4. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Sorry Riderbabe it is Partrige Cochin boy-look at this black brest and I think he is growing sadle feathers

5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Can't tell for sure but I think I see saddle feathers too.

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I thought the featers looked a bit fuzzy in the picture and I couldn't see any definite pointy ones.

If he's 4+ months old then why no crowing??? Also at 16 weeks my roo had a HUGE comb and big wattles - I'm just not seeing a roo in the pic.
    I say wait for an egg [​IMG] but ya never know.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'd say that's a roo- going by the coloring and shape. Watch for more black & green to start showing up in the saddle.

8. raiderbabe239

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    Quote:I thought the featers looked a bit fuzzy in the picture and I couldn't see any definite pointy ones.

If he's 4+ months old then why no crowing??? Also at 16 weeks my roo had a HUGE comb and big wattles - I'm just not seeing a roo in the pic.
    I say wait for an egg [​IMG] but ya never know.

thats what i thought! he/she hasnt even made an attempt at crowing yet and my other roos from the order had wayy bigger red combs and wattles so i could tell they were roos i guess teddy here is just slow in developing [​IMG]

9. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I agree with Ve, its a partridge cochin, there for the pattern says that its a male. Cochins are often slow to develop.

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:Yep. No denying the coloration of the partridge male.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by