Wait time after changing roosters

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RangeChicks, Feb 15, 2015.

1. RangeChicks

RangeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014
    How long should you wait after taking one roo out & introducing a new one to collect eggs for hatching?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    2 to 3 weeks

3. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    If you're impatient at times like myself you can always crack an egg open to see if it's fertile every few days, then make an omelet.[​IMG]

4. RangeChicks

Apr 28, 2014
    I just want to be sure that I only get purebreds. The crossbred roo that was living with her has been out for 2 weeks. She was in a molt & not laying. She began laying about a week after he was taken out. The new roo was introduced to her yesterday. We want to start incubating eggs from the new roo as soon as it is "safe". I saw on another thread that possibly as long as 23 days later the eggs hatched were from the previous rooster.

5. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Ah I see, then definitely wait a good amount of time until all the eggs that were fertilized by him are long gone. I thought you were just lookin for fertile eggs oops

6. RangeChicks

Apr 28, 2014
    I just cracked yesterday's egg from her & it was infertile. Does that mean we now have a fresh start? The roo who was with her was young & she had not been laying since October. She went broody (REALLY broody) and when we finally got that broken, she went into a molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by