Wait to set both batches of eggs together?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by erinlee, Jul 21, 2010.

1. erinlee

erinlee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Baldwin MI
    Dang this is addicting LOL. I ordered some more serama hatching eggs; I ordered 6 from 2 different breeders. I got one package in the mail today (6 ordered, 16 eggs received! woohoo!) [​IMG] Those eggs are settling right now.

I am expecting my second order of eggs tomorrow (keeping fingers crossed).

Should I go ahead and set the first batch of eggs in the bator tonight, and then add the second batch tomorrow? Or just hold the first batch and wait to put them both in together?

Thanks again for your guidance oh knowledgeable ones [​IMG]

2. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    Personally I'd wait unless you have a second bator for hatching the first lot. Shipped eggs need to settle for about 24 hours anyway, so why not set the first ones when the second set arrive and then set them after just 12 hours? Ie tomorrow morning and before bed tomorrow night? You won't upset batch #2 then by lockdown a whole day early.

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Agree, wait till the others get there. I am in the exact situation right now, waiting for 2 more packages to add to the 2 I got today so I can set them all together. Good luck with them!

4. erinlee

erinlee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Baldwin MI
    Ok, thanks for both of your help! I will do just that; hopefully the other package will arrive tomorrow as expected.

Kedreeva- good luck to you as well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by