Waited as long as I could, need help on gender and at least one breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bburn, Sep 11, 2010.

1. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Thanks to anyone that can help me. I waited as long as I could stand it to ask about breed and gender. The BR Cochin I really am not sure about gender on.
    The BO I simply cannot tell. One week I think it is a hen and the next I am thinking roo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then the BO:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The odd one...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would appreciate any help on breed and gender....thanks!!

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    How old is the BO?

3. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    They all look like boys to me.

4. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

BR is a rooster and the BO is also

5. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    They all look like boys to me. The barred cochin might be a girl, but I'm seeing more white in the barring than black.

6. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    All boys... The mystery roo looks to be a dark cornish or a dark cornish cross...

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I vote for all boys.

[​IMG]

8. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The only one I am for sure about is your BO. The saddle feathers are giving him away. They are the longer pointed feathers coming off the back just in front of the tail (sickle) feathers. Definetly a Cockeral.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  9. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    the cochin looks like a hen to me...how old is he/she?

10. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    One could only hope that they just might be hens.....not that I mind the roosters. It is just that we have 29 chickens. They were born around the first of May...maybe the end of April. Of the 29 we have 7....count them....7 RIR roosters!!! And these three....makes 10...and then there were the four little brown chicks that were two weeks younger....and they are ALL roo's.

So I am thinking that once I decrese the numbers of roosters that will leave me with a nice little flock of MAYBE 15 hens unless I missed another roo!!! Ah, that is a good number.

Now to select the two roo's that will not be going to freezer camp. Oh, wait.....I have two BR's also that are not cochin. So 13 hens and two roo's will be left. And me, home by myself, DH off working and I am going to have to process all by myself!! I have built a chicken tractor that will hold about 5 chickens. Talk about the Ft. Knox of chicken tractors! Nothing could possibly get in that thing. Weighs a ton and still have to put wheels on it to pull it.

Because of their age and the behaviors that are changing....I know it is normal but that is just way too many guys for the girls....I am going to start pulling out roosters this week. Once I get down to pulling the last 5 roosters maybe I can tell who I really want to keep. I know the RIR's are going. They are beautiful but very aggressive.

Thanks for the help. I just needed someone to confirm what I thought. But the cochin I simply had no idea. If he is a roo he is the sweetest thing. Never picks on anyone. So, I am keeping him no matter what. The BO I had decided was a roo until I saw a pictue of a hen that people were saying was a hen.....and then I thought maybe mine was too.

I know that the day will come when I can look at an almost grown chicken and see the boy feathers and know....lol.

Off to read about how to process a chicken......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by