Waitin' for Eggs? Use Reverse Psychology!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buff Hooligans, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I've been telling my girls for a few weeks now that I knew they were a heavy breed, slow to mature, probably won't lay until they're 10 years old, and telling all my co-workers that our girls are lazy slackers just living for treats. They are 23 week old Buff Orps, and I truly didn't think they'd lay for another two weeks. BUT guess what I found in the coop this morning!

2. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Yeah!!!!!!!!!!! At last!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    21 weeks old this Sunday. No eggs. I'll give it a try.

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    OMGosh, my BO are 14 wks now, you mean I have to wait another 9 wks for mine to lay. They are spoiled, so probably longer, hehe, let us see the egg. Was it really small?

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Yes, it was about half the size of a store-bought egg. But being a girl, I'm sorta glad they start out small or they'd have to go into therapy or apply for a sex change operation.

After hearing the stories of eggs with no shells and stuff, I was worried about our girls, but it truly was perfect. A little smeary with stuff, but perfect.

I took a photo of it in the coop (it was laid in the pine shavings, not in the nest box), but have to get it on CD before loading it into BYC. Thank you for asking!

6. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    With 23 chickens, I'll just tell them that I don't have room for their silly eggs anyway! [​IMG]

I've still got a good 15+ weeks to go, but you never know! [​IMG]

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Texaschickenmomma, I like how you wrote "OM Gosh", instead of the other "OMG___".

8. harv681

harv681 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2007
    Mine are 21 weeks and we found our first eggs three days ago--under the rosemary bush on the far side of the yard!

9. Tastes_Like_Chicken

Tastes_Like_Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2007
    East Fishkill, NY
    [​IMG] Wait I'm lost.... what did you find in the coop this morning??? Tell me it wasnt a raccoon!

10. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:She found a small egg!! [​IMG]

Lucky Buff!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by