waiting a few days to put into incubator...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrsengeseth, Jan 27, 2009.

1. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there,

I have a question. I got some eggs today from a fellow BYC'er (who is wonderful BTW, ) and I forgot to ask her a question. The eggs I got for hatching...would it be ok for them to sit a few days before going into the incubator? Perhaps till Friday even. If it's possible, how to store them in the mean time? They are air sac end up in their carton right now on my counter. Anyone know the answer?

2. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    When did you get them? Were they shipped? How old were they when they shipped? Wouldn't store them longer than 10 days as then fertility drops. Turn them and store them cool - not refrigerated. You can turn them in the egg carton. Just prop up one side and to turn prop up the other side.

3. mrsengeseth

Not shipped, we met up personally. These were laid the last few days, they are fresh. Picked up about two or so hours ago.

4. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG]

How egg-citing!! I bet the kids are thrilled. What kind did you get?

5. mrsengeseth

Marans and marans x americauna I thnk she said they were. [​IMG]

Each kiddo had to have a turn holding the egg carton, they were very excited. We had the opportunity to chat about chickens while we were waiting for her turn at the post office. It was nice to meet another BYC'er.

6. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Well good luck and keep us posted [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sounds like you might get some pretty eggs out of those babies that are pullets. Which I'm sure they'll all be [​IMG]

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    They need to be stored cooler than room temp., though; I store mine at 55*. I put them in a large cooler, with 2 gallon ziploc bags of ice in the bottom of the cooler and a thick, folded towel on top, in my basement. Tip them 2-3 times per day, and best of luck!

8. mrsengeseth

they're in the bator now.

Sounds like you might get some pretty eggs out of those babies that are pullets. Which I'm sure they'll all be [​IMG]

LOL, I hope so too, coloradochick!!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by