Waiting for chick shipment - They're HERE **PICs**

mediazeal

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Edited to add: PICs on Page 2
---------------------------------------------------
This is the first time I've ordered a box of chicks.
I'm of course worried about them.
They shipped yesterday, it's 9am and no one has called me
I dont' know how this works.
It should say call for pick up on the box with my cell number, I gave it to the shipper to include.
I stayed home from work waiting
now I'm nervous about the chicks AND missing work
Can any of you tell me what is normal on chick delivery day?
Do they usually call early? Does that fact that they have not called yet mean the chicks are not here yet? might have to do another day in the box? Will they live?
Does a special delivery truck pull up to your house? and you need to be here to get it?
Can someone sell me a clue?
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Where are the chicks being shipped from and where are you? Are they being shipped normal priority or did you pay more for express?

Where I live it usually takes a couple of days or three for the chicks to arrive. The post office usually calls me at 4-5:30 am but I have also been called later than that.

They are cheeping loudly when you get them. They don't go out on the carrier truck- you must go to the post office.

If you cannot leave work to get the chicks, then staying home from work was good...depending on when your P.O. closes and when you get out of work.

If it takes you a long time to drive home from the post office and you must leave them there until after work, you might want to bring your water and food in a flat bin in your car...only thing is that the water tends to spill when you turn curves (from experience I know this
big_smile.png
).

Can they take more than a day (24 hours) to arrive?
I thought chicks would come overnight like special delivery

I did not pay, they are a gift from the shipper. No idea on the kind of shipment but I do know the shipper is not new to shipping chicks and will have done it right.

so when you get chicks shipped, can they take up to 2 full days to get to you? is that normal? am I expecting them a day early?

Chicks can take a couple of days to arrive. If you can call the shipper and get a tracking number, then you can call your post office and find out where they are. Or just call your post office - my local postmaster tracked mine down for me because they were three days since hatching and hadn't been delivered yet. But they found them and got them to another local post office and I picked them up - all 28 survivied.

It can take over 24 hours for them to arrive, even if they are sent express "overnight". It's a great idea to call your post office and let them know that you are expecting chicks, and ask them to call you as soon as they arrive, otherwise they might be stuck on a mail-delivery truck for even longer before they get to you.

Hope your new chicks are okay!
smile.png

Whooo hooooo!!!
they just were delivered to my door like special delivery
all 19 were alive, healthy and starving
got them all settled into their brooder with lots of food and water
they are very busy eating everything in sight
I expected them to be more thirsty but they are mostly hungry so far.
yes, I dipped each little beak into the water
I'll get you some pics
gorgeous black copper marans babies and one splash
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom