Waiting for eggs. . . . Patiently?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rocky Road, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    So . . as if it already wasn't bad enough that I only ended up with 6 hens out of 24 chicks, they are currently 24 weeks old and not even 1 egg yet [​IMG]

Two of them (Wyndotte's) have been red in the face for several weeks now but I have no other signs yet . . . no squatting and no egg songs or any loud noises. The others are 1 EE, and PR's.

Anybody else sharing my frustrations? What weeks were your hens when they showed their first eggs?

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have several different kinds also...the first egg was at 20 weeks, but now at 23, I still have girls laying their firsts...so I think now, finally at almost 24 weeks they are all laying. Each breed is different...patience!

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh gosh! I can't believe you got so many roosters! What did you do with them?

I know your frustrations, I hatched out a batch of Cream Brabanters, and I'm in Ohio and the eggs came from Texas. I had six eggs hatch, 4 roosters, 1 hen, and then a mutt hen that I was disappointed with. So that was a bummer.

I'll bet I waited 25 weeks for my Marans to lay their first eggs.....Seemed like FOREVER!

Hang in there!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Still waiting on 3 at 27 weeks.

My last hatch was 23 chicks, and all but 8 were roosters.

5. Rocky Road

May 14, 2011
    Quote:Well they are going to the freezer. I did hatch another 28 eggs after that to get more hens because I wanted at least 10 and I ended up with 8-9 hens in that with 15-16 roosters rough count. They hatched Jul 19 so they have a few months to go yet!

6. Rocky Road

May 14, 2011
    Got my first egg yesterday!!! Perfect medium size light brown egg with perfect shell! Time to switch the girls to layer feed!

7. henryhoe

henryhoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    24 weeks and still waiting, no squatt no egg song or loud noises, (4 rir's and 1 light sussex)

8. mikeh88

mikeh88 New Egg

Oct 25, 2010
    just keep being patient.it seemed like mine took forever too.I switched mine to layer feed a couple weeks before the expected due date....good luck

9. Rocky Road

May 14, 2011
    Quote:Well mine are I think 26 weeks now and I never had egg songs that I noticed at all but still an egg! I just hope I find another or more today!

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Main reason you have not been getting eggs.........NOT ON LAYER. Feed only a layer , start at 21 weeks. will have all laying within a few weeks.

See alot of people feeding crack corn , cheaper feed but will hurt eggs production.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by