waiting for eggs to hatch, my first time at this

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duey thompson, Jun 14, 2011.

1. duey thompson

duey thompson Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Hi everybody!! I put my drake in a makeshift pen to separate from the female who is sitting the eggs. But my neighbor has a cat nearby and am wondering if the cat is a danger. The makeshift coop is not totally secure. Also want to know about the female. She is hissing at me, and I am wondering if that means the eggs will hatch soon. I don't know exactly how long she has been brooding and I am anxious. Any help with these questions will be most helpful. thanks, dewdrop

2. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    I don't think a domestic cat will be any threat to your duck or her young, but you might want to be wary of predators, such as foxes. make the area as secure as you can and lock her in at night. i once secured a makeshift coop by wrapping a piece of chicken wire right around it every evening. It was a bit of a pain to do but at least all was secure overnight. She is hissing a warning to you to keep away from her eggs, so I would approach with caution. Impossible to predict when the ducklings will hatch, but just keep supplying her with food and hope for the best outcome. Good luck.

3. duey thompson

duey thompson Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    thank you, chillin with my peeps!!! your information was very helpfol. dewdrop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by