waiting for golden pheasants to hatch and very worried

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pheasantfrenzie, Jun 18, 2011.

1. pheasantfrenzie

pheasantfrenzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Montrose,Co
    Hello All,
    I guess I am like every other newbie with hatching eggs I have many questions and no answers. I have had eggs in my incubator now for 22 days and I see nothing happening and getting a little worried. I purchased alot of eggs from Ebay of course and I candled them at 14 days and saw the eyes (I Think) and waited a couple of days to do it again and I could see movement:D. Then a couple of days ago I candled them and I couldn't see any movement because it looked like it was dark (hoping it was full of chick) so I moved it into another incubator so they would start to hatch and not keep turning. I see nothing happening and getting a little worried because a couple of days ago I went to bed the temp was fine and when I got up it showed 102 so I immediately paniced and pulled the lid off to cool it down. Please tell me that I didn't kill them. ShouldI poke holes to help them ordid I totally mess up. I will honestly say that I feel so relaxed welping foster puppies than I do hatching eggs. If anyone can give me any help please let me know.

2. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Know nothing about pheasants but replying to bump your post [​IMG]

3. poultryand bees

poultryand bees ~Drives a Magic Poultry Van~

Feb 4, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    I wouldn't worry just yet. According to something I read, it takes 22 days to hatch red-golden or yellow-golden pheasants and some of the pheasant varieties take up to 25-27 days to hatch. It is normal for the temperature in the incubator to increase close to hatching time, as the eggs themselves give off some heat at that time. Personally, I would give them a few more days before breaking one open to see what might have happened.

4. pheasantfrenzie

Jun 17, 2011
    Montrose,Co
    Thank you, hoping somebody can help me.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'm not familiar with the red golden hatch timeline, but our Edward pheasants and melanistic mutants typically take 24-25 days.

You said the hatcher got to 102. Does it have a fan or is it still air? If it's still air, that would be ok. If it had a fan, there's a chance it may affect your hatch. Hopefully, it wasn't high for too long and everything will be fine. Good luck!

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Yeah, 102 isn't that big of a deal. And, that was the air temp, the eggs themselves are slower to heat up (and, of course, to cool down, too), so probably didn't get to 102. And, that's not really a fatal temp, its above the desired temp. Its not nearly as big a worry as it would by if you woke up to 112!

As far as the "days" to hatch - the "standard" figure is, IMHO, a "best case" scenario. Usually, if I have a big batch of eggs, the very first one may hatch at the end of the given day. Most of them will hatch 24 to 48 hours later. Hardly ever fails.

7. pheasantfrenzie

Jun 17, 2011
    Montrose,Co
    Yes it is a still air incubator. Thank you for giving me the information. Why do you have to stop turning them 3-4 days before hatching? Let's hope they hatch soon.

8. pheasantfrenzie

Jun 17, 2011
    Montrose,Co
    Yea there are 6 eggs that are chirping now for about 6 hrs. with little improvement on holes. Should I help them by cracking a little hole for them. I noticed my humidity was @30% and added 2 jars to raise it to 60%. Help me!!!

9. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Did any of your pheasants hatch.....?
    I don't know anything about them....but was reading your post and am curious if they all made it....!

10. Leonora

Leonora New Egg

Apr 10, 2013
    You do not want too help them hatch This usually make the bird weak and less likely to survive.. Be patient, some of my golden's took over 52 hours to get out of the shell once they started.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by