Waiting for supplemental light to do it's job

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BroosterSpringsteen, Dec 30, 2013.

1. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    I'm not sure why, but my chickens take off about 5-6 months every year from laying. I think it's because we live in a valley, with tall mountains on each side, reducing the amount of daylight. This year I finally got fed up, and added light. In order to get 14 hours, I had to set the timer to have the light come on at 2:30am....which means my rooster crows now at 2:30am [​IMG] I might not be the most popular gal in the neighborhood.

Anyway, I added the light 10 days ago, and so far there's not any sign they're interested in laying. They're not molting. They finished their molt about a month ago. How long does this usually take? Could it be I added the wrong kind of light? It's a warm-toned compact fluorescent bulb.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I think it takes weeks rather than days for added light to make a change. I added mine back in October and slowly ramped it up to 14 hours. As long as it's white light and bright enough to read a newspaper on the roost, I think compact fluorescent is OK. I've read that flourescent tubes flicker in a way that bothers chickens.

Here's a good article on supplemental lighting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by