1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Waiting for winter in upstate NY! Helping the hens!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by torbaynewfs, Dec 16, 2011.

1. torbaynewfs

torbaynewfs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    Owego, NY
    Although so far we have had a mild start to the winter, I am sure bad things are right around the corner! Usually I spend a lot of time shoveling paths for the girls and hauling out water for them several times daily. does anyone have any other tips and ticks for keeping the chicken area accessible in the snow? Or any other thoughts to make surviving winter easier...for them and ME!!??

2. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I intend to use our snow blower to help make paths for easier access to pens. And lots of hot water on those cold days for a warm drink. Perhaps a warm mash on particularly cold mornings? My girls will eat oatmeal leftovers faster than their own feed!

Winter is now upon us; I look forward to the end of March: out like a lamb!

4. kjfrogster41

kjfrogster41 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Belfast, ME
    Quote:I feed our girls organic buckwheat Japanese noodles in the morning, these are easy to fix and in expensive, just cover with hot water let stand a couple of minutes, pour off the water and voila, the girls have warm yummy treats. I will also feed them warm rice mixed with corn. These are good winter treats, to keep on weight and give them some thing warm on a cold winter morning.

5. FAZ

FAZ New Egg

Jul 20, 2011
    Winter is here is central NY. This is my first winter with my
    chickens. I do worry that they will get cold. The coop
    is insulated. I would like to know what the temperature in the
    coop should be.

6. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    [​IMG] This is our second Winter. Last year we worried about a lot of things. We do give our flock hot cooked oatmeal and warm brown rice. We have electric old fashioned unit to keep water from freezing.

7. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Please oh please, lets not hurry winter! I say every day that passes is a day closer to March! [​IMG]

8. happycountryhens

happycountryhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Central NY
    Aria: Beautiful pic of your Silkies.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by