Waiting for your hen to go broody !!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickencrazy999, Jan 2, 2014.

1. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Hello so I have decided to make a thread for those people who are waiting for your hens to go broody and hatch some chicks because as you know its a very eggciting experiment. I thought we could also discuss what you would like your hens to hatch this year (2014) we can share pics of are progress and ask unanswered questions. Also i'm sure everybody would love to see your Beautiful Hens and for this reason little chickies!!!!

This year I am hoping to hatch some chicks from my two miniature white silkies Milly and Muffin and my two bantams Alice and Sandy. They are in there own seperate coop and then they are let out together with my other 5 hybrid hens. Also I am hoping to get a standard size silkie hen just for the purpose of hatching chicks !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Lovely hens!!!

I have got eggs in the bator now and when/ IF they hatch I shall be slipping the chicks under my 2 broodies. One is a RIR bantie and the other a Frizzle Bantie called Cornflakes or just Frizz.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is Frizz my Frizzle.

1 person likes this.
  3. chickencrazy999

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Aww Nice hens so when did your hens go broody ?

4. cluckcluckluke

About 1 week ago. So they only have to wait about 1 week for their chicks. It's good broodies cant tell time or I'd have to raise them all myself.

5. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Interesting i am not waiting for our silkie pullet to go broody, i am waiting for her to hatch eggs[​IMG][​IMG] I made her go broody by showing her a clutch of eggs, in a somewhat tight space, anyhow there do next week on friday, but im worried they wont hatch wish me...i mean silkie luck.[​IMG]

6. cluckcluckluke

Good luck Luv[​IMG][​IMG].

7. luvmypets

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Thanks im so anxious for the hatch, since were almost on lockdown hen style were adding a heat lamp three days before day 18. Yesterday it was 10 degrees with a ten degree windchill.[​IMG]

8. johndeerematt

johndeerematt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Adams, nebraska
    How did you make your hen go broody? I have a buff Orpington id like to try that on.

9. luvmypets

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Well we had an old duckling brooder, it was a good size, i kept finding hens in boxes on eggs so i put each one in with the eggs, after about five hens,with one to two eggs each, i tried it on a silkie pullet, she kept getting on and off the first day not sure what to do, but now its day 12 and she ended up with nine eggs. Good luck on your try i just got lucky.[​IMG]

10. chickencrazy999

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Fingers Crossed on your hatch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by