Waiting, hopefully ready!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flspnr, Sep 26, 2011.

1. flspnr

flspnr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    I think my first two chickens are going to be ready to lay eggs soon - I have *no* idea how old the third one is. Peep and Repeep are 16 weeks old, so it shouldn't be too terribly long, right? Their combs and wattles are getting really red, and from what I've read, that's a good sign, right? I put a bowl in the coop with some bedding in it, so I'm hoping they'll lay the eggs there. I have read that there needs to be a top - the part of the coop they are in is surrounded on 3 sides by wood. The top lifts off to gather eggs or check on the chickens.

Do they sound like they're going to be ready soon, and does it sound like I'm ready for them to start laying? Anything I can do to help the process along or improve their quarters (cheaply, unfortunatly) or anything?

Thanks for the help!

2. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    16 weeks is young, but it depends on breed. The standard answer is 18 to 25 weeks but mine sis not start until 20-24 weeks and I still have 1 that is 29 weeks and has not started.

They need a nice quiet dim place to lay, if you could post pictures of your set up we could give advise.

Have any of your girls started the egg squat yet? When you walk up to them and bend down to pet them, do they flatten out close to the ground and sorta put their wings out to the side? That is another good sign to watch for.

3. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    I had heard that they started laying between 16 and 24 weeks, so I waited until 16 weeks, and now I'm starting to get impatient. [​IMG] I know it can take a bit longer, I just want to be prepared!

I have not noticed the squatting yet, but one of my chicks, Repeep, won't let me pet her at all. [​IMG]

Adding in pics of the coop. [​IMG]

This is the picture of the coop as a whole. I pretty much had no idea what I was doing when I started this. As a matter of a fact, I messed up the first version so bad it ended up a table. [​IMG] I like it, but when we get a place with a larger yard it's going to be a *ton* bigger and have many more chickens, but I digress....

[​IMG]

Cleaning day is today, so excuse the bit of a mess. [​IMG] And yes, the water bottle is knocked over *again*. I have got to get a hanging one or something, lol.

Front view of nesting area:

[​IMG]

THe blue bowl is the nesting bowl. They all took a peek at it last night when I put it in, so hopefully they like it. It's my favorite color, so I hope it's theirs as well...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  4. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    What breed(s) are your chickens?

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    none of mine started till at least 20 weeks...depends on breed I guess....I wouldn't get too excited yet.

6. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    Renee', I have no idea whatsoever what breeds they are, they were cute, one was blue, and the person at the feed store was *pretty sure* they were girls. The third one was a gift, from a 10 year old girl. [​IMG]

JodyJo, I heard 16 weeks was the minimum, so, nows the time, I think, to start waiting...patiently...lol. I know it may be a while, but here's to hoping!

7. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I would think they would just lay in that area before climbing into that bowl. However, I do see one major design flaw. There are no roosts in there. Chickens need a place to roost at night. You dont want them sleeping where they lay (POOP GALORE). It also looks a little small for 3 chickens. You need to have 4 square feet of floor space per bird. Do you let them out during the day to free range at all?

I would really consider looking at the Coop Design section to see some of the other coops out there, you may want to add on to this once pretty soon.

8. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    dbounds10, Thanks! I just realized the other day I needed roosts and I'm working on how to put them in - I think I've got an idea. They'll be in Friday or Saturday when I get my check. I thought you needed 2 square feet for bantams? It is a bit small though, but they are starting to get a few hours a day "free ranging" in the yard while I watch them. It's so much fun watching them! This weekend, I'm also going to put wire around the bottom so they have a 2 level coop, with one level on the ground. I was a bit broke when we built it, and it had to fit in the house we lived in before. Will adding a second area on the bottom help? I'm going to have to cut through the flooring (tiled, of course, lol), but it'll be ok. Coop number two, complete with paint and more area to move, will be coming in January. And, if my husband doesn't kill me, maybe one big enough for a couple more chickens? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by