Waiting on a McMurray order of chicks....worried

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Clevelandohio, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Clevelandohio

Clevelandohio Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2016
    Cleveland Ohio
    Our 25 ornamental layer collection is in route from Iowa to Cleveland Ohio. It left Monday night and looks like it won't be here until the soonest tomorrow. That's 3 days... They said that we should be OK, but geez I'm worried. Anyone have any experience with this? Good or bad?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  2. Clevelandohio

Mar 15, 2016
    Cleveland Ohio
    Anyone?

3. Cyan929

Cyan929 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    A friend ordered 25 from them, a few of us homeschooling mom's were gonna split the birds up. They took 3 days to come as well. We had 1 dead on arrival, and 5 more die in the next day.
    Hope your chicks arrive quickly and healthy.

4. Cyan929

Cyan929 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    We gave most of them honey and dipped their beaks in water to get them hydrated.

5. Clevelandohio

Mar 15, 2016
    Cleveland Ohio
    See that's what I'm worried about
    ... When they take 3 days its pretty unlikely they will all make it. Plus it's been cold here. :(

6. Clevelandohio

Mar 15, 2016
    Cleveland Ohio
    Anyone else have chicks travel for three days and arrive alive?

7. Clevelandohio

Mar 15, 2016
    Cleveland Ohio
    I'm just sick to my stomach tonight that I'll open a box of sick or dying birds tomorrow. Please pray for the littles.

8. knightgang

knightgang Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    Southeast, GA
    Waiting on my birds this week as well. Mine left on Tuesday afternoon. I called the hatchery (McMurray) and they said that they drive them directly to the Airport either in Des Moines or so St. Paul. They unload from the truck directly to the plane.

My issue is that the tracking number says that a label has been created but has not been scanned anywhere since. Leaving Iowa yesterday by plane, mine should me in Jacksonville by now, but I have no idea where they are. Does the post office not scan the labels on our birds when they pass through depots while in transit??? I do wish they would so that I had some idea where they are and when they will arrive... I did not really account for Chicken Math and I ordered what I wanted. I really have no room for losses.

9. Clevelandohio

Mar 15, 2016
    Cleveland Ohio
    Oh my. Yes. Mine scanned at at. Paul. Then Columbus Ohio this morning. It nothing since 8 am. I'm a 2 hour drive to Columbus so now they sit for 12 hours somewhere? It's crazy. I'm kicking myself for not paying the extra for overnight shipping.

10. Clevelandohio

Mar 15, 2016
    Cleveland Ohio

What did you order?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by