1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

waiting on dna sex results

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by realsis, Oct 11, 2013.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi all. Just wanted to say I'm a excited expected mother! Im waiting on dna sexing results of four new babies. Where I live I can only have female's so I'm hoping to get at least two females out of the testing. If I don't get at least two I will be doing more testing. These babies are silkies they are buff and silver partridges. Testing two buff and two silver! It would be great if I got three out of the testing! Wish me luck. I found a really great breeder who is willing to work with me and do the dna testing. Labs are fairly reasonable as testing costs 12 to 19 dollars depending on the lab you send it too. They take feathers from the babies breast and have the sex results within a week. Very exciting! For those who can't have any roos this is a great way to ensure you are getting a female silkie when they are babies. So please wish me luck and I'll keep you all posted on the results. Here is a picture of three of the four babies I'm testing. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, DNA sexing? never heard of it, but sounds very interesting!
    The babies are adorable! Are they Silkies?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  3. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi yes they are silkies. I came across dna testing myself last year after getting four roos in a row and I can't have any roos.id have to wait until they crowed and by then I was so attached it was very heartbreaking to re home them which I had to do.i have all silkies and thought there has to be a better
    way. I did some research and found dna sexing to be very adorable and easy. The labs are found online
    and send a free sample kit. You would pull a few
    feathers from the breast making sure the feathers
    have the quick (the white part) attached. No lost
    feathers only fresh feathers. Then within a week they
    tell you the sex. Most labs are 12 to 19 dollars per
    sample. Which is not bad for dna. They are 100%
    accurate and its a great way to confirm sex. For me
    it really works out because I can't have males. Also it
    saves a lot of heart ache. You can find the labs by
    searching DNA sexing of birds. there are lots to
    choose from. You can either send blood or feather
    but I've found feather to be much easier for the
    babies. Its very interesting. Since I've came across it
    I now dna all the babies I buy. The breeders are
    usually more than happy to go along with it because
    they benifit as well knowing they have males. As the
    buyer I pay for the testing. The lab we used this time
    was 19 dollars per test. Some labs are only 12
    dollars. It just depends which you use. This works
    out well for folks who can't have male birds where
    they live. I'm sooooo excited to find out the results. I sure hope I don't have to test more to get my females but I will if I have too. So I'm a excited expected mother! Wish me luck !!!

4. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

Good luck!! Keep us posted!

5. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Dang gone! You're serious about your chickens aren't you? :)

6. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Lol, yes I suppose I am. After having to find homes last year for so many roos ( which isn't easy cause most don't want roos) I decided to just go this route. May seem strange to some but makes since to me. I've exhausted all my options last year for finding homes for roos..lol. I know it seems pricey but the 12
    to 19 dollars is worth it to me. At least I know I'm getting females. Its just another way to go about buying babies. As long as seller agrees its a fairly easy process. A lot easier than finding another home for a roo. Just wanted to share this with you all.a lot of folks don't know about dna sexing and if they do they think its real expensive. If your serious about females only its the way to go!

7. ChickenLegs13

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    How does that work, if they test out as roos you take them back to the seller for a refund or does the seller hold them in escrow until the tests are complete or what?

8. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    The seller holds the chicks until all testing is complete. In my case I've bought three birds but can test as many as needed to get my three girls. Once I get female conformation she will then ship my babes. Its usually about 50/50 so the more tested the better odds. I've never had trouble with the testing and always end up with my girls without too much trouble. For a person who can't have roos its really a great way to purchase babies.i wouldn't recommend it to someone who roosters don't matter. But silkies can be notoriously hard to sex and this is a great way to be 100% positive your getting a female.

9. ChickenLegs13

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Interesting, I've never heard of such. Good luck and I hope they turn out to be great chickens you'll enjoy for a long time! :)

10. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Thank you! I'm very excited and hope not too many end up boys! I'm a excited expected mother. I'll let ya all know the results hopefully within a week or so. Wish me girls!!! Then I can start my new family!! Oooh I can't wait!!! I'll keep you all posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by