1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Waiting on eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GonzoFamily, Dec 27, 2016.

1. GonzoFamily

GonzoFamily Just Hatched

Oct 17, 2016
    Spring, TX
    Our 7 hens are about 25 weeks now and we still haven't seen our first eggs. I know with it being winter we have to wait a little longer, but it's in the high 70s here in TX! I'm hoping by complaining on here, I'll see eggs soon. Most of their combs have come in and are reddening up. I added a golf ball to each nesting box. Any other tips? Besides being patient of course :)

2. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

I would march right out there and tell those lazy birds either start laying or you will eat them.

Or wait it out

Lol

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Day length has the greatest impact on egg production. From now on day light will gradually increase. Your pullets will respond to the longer day light period and start laying. Or you could read chicken recipes to them as bedtime stories.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Starting this thread oughta do the trick ......at least it has 63 out of 100 times(gratuitous estimate-means absolutely nothing) hahaha!!

BTW.....semantics, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
    Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
    Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).

Typical onset of lay for most breeds is 18-26 weeks....sometimes it can take longer, especially this time of year without supplemental lighting.

New layers can be quite goofy acting, they don't know what they are doing at first and can be confused and anxious, it can take up to a month or so before they get it all figured out. Putting some fake eggs or golf balls in the nest might help show them where to lay. They may scratch around in the nests for weeks before laying, spreading the bedding everywhere. They will scratch around a bit less in nest as they get used to the routine. Meanwhile, eggs everywhere, some of them can be rather funky looking, soft or thin shelled, huge double yolked eggs.

Signs of onset of lay---I've found the pelvic points to be the most accurate.
    Squatting:
    If you touch their back they will hunker down on the ground, then shake their tail feathers when they get back up.
    Tho not all birds will do this, especially if there's a cockbird in the flock.
    This shows they are sexually mature and egg laying is close at hand.

Combs and Wattles:
    Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
    Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.
    Tho I have found that the combs and wattles can look full and red one minute then pale back out the next due to exertion or excitement, can drive ya nuts when waiting for a pullet to lay!

Vent Appearance:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

2 people like this.
  5. AutumnHens

AutumnHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Coastal NC
    Starting a very similar thread worked for me. Aart of course gives great information on what to look for while you're on egg watch. But in truth it's a waiting game. Here we're still waiting on four to start (hatched in June) but they're squatting and investigating the nest boxes so hopefully they'll catch up to their sisters shortly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by