Waiting on Eggs

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by indigo flats, Feb 12, 2017.

1. indigo flats

indigo flats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    I have a pair of Guineas that are 9 months old maybe 10 months, I am wondering when in South Carolina will they start laying eggs or are they still to young? Any help or advice on this matter will be welcome.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Do you have them locked up? They may be laying already. They are typically seasonal layers, but the exact "season" varies locally as far as when they start and stop

3. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    They are free ranging have been there whole life. If she is laying I would like to find it and put the eggs in a incubator.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  4. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    The easiest way I find their nest is to wait until I see them head off toward the woods and then follow from a good distance. Note where they go and then go back and search around carefully. Or, if you have a male, sometimes he will run back and forth between the group and his mate as she sits on the nest to lay and you can follow him and locate her.

If you find the nest, leave at least a couple eggs there so they will keep laying there. If you take them all they will move the nest and you'll have to start over to relocate it. And don't try to take the eggs while anyone is on it, for the same reason.

5. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    They haven't sneak off that I know of they follow my chickens around most of the time. I am guessing anytime they could start laying.

6. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Last year mine started laying around early April and I am north of you in Maryland. I expect yours may start next month.

7. indigo flats

Jan 29, 2017
    Elgin South Carolina
    That is what I have been looking for 9 months is old enough and probably March I will start seeing eggs. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by