Waiting on our eggs - Anyone experience this?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The3JBs, Aug 21, 2014.

1. The3JBs

The3JBs New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    We have three, 18 week old buff orps and we're patiently waiting for our first eggs. One of them, PJ, is definitely the furthest along developmentally. She is much redder on her comb and wattle than the other 2. In the past few days she's become much more vocal, both in volume and frequency of her "talking". Has anyone else seen this happen before they start laying? Excited in OH!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Sounds like she's getting closer for sure- and, yes, that change in vocalizations is very common as they approach the point of lay. I've seen (or heard, lol) it anywhere from a few days-3 weeks prior to the laying of the first egg....and had a few others who's "voice" shifted after they started laying. I have an EE who was all but silent for the first 23 weeks of her life, and knew she was ready to give me eggs when she started honking away (quieter than the rest of the flock, but quite loud for her, lol) at me one day -- two days later, pretty blue egg. Your wait is close to being over -- hang in there!

3. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    Sounds like she's getting ready! Typically I see the hens inspecting the egg boxes, going in and out of the coop, hanging around the coop and doing a lot of "talking" :)

4. The3JBs

The3JBs New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    WE GOT OUR FIRST EGG!!! Don't know which girl it was but I'm sure the others will follow! Thanks all for your input!

[​IMG]

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Congrats on the first egg -- that is such a great picture!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by