1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Waiting on the city, just shot a possibly rabid yote.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Miss Red, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I finished making sure everyone had food and water, and went in to feed myself. No sooner than I sat down with my food I started hearing pathetic ries from my goats, followed by screams from the chickens. I thought they were fighting over the apples until I realized that those were save me cries! Opened the back door, headed out armed with my dogs... They're grading the road so I thought (for some reason) it was a person. NO!

Walking blindly is the coyote I shot a month ago, with the hole still in his ear. He walked smack dab into my fence, turned and started limping down the fenceline to me. I ran back in and grabbed "Henry" my trusted .22, loaded him up and went back out. This time I didn't miss.

The coyote saw me, and didn't run. Didn't stop when I whistled to get a shot, and didn't go after my birds (they thought otherwise). Guinea is standing guard and screaming at it still... The guy on the grader said he'd just called someone about the yote and they should be here before six to pick it up. That's five and a half hours laying in my yard! My dogs and cats will figure a way out by then... He said if they're not here by six to burn it, what if I just flash burn it now?

Advice?

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Myself, I'd follow rule 3s

Shoot
    Shovel
    Shut-up

Getting authorities involved can become a nightmare. Protect your self and make sure nothing can get at it in case it has something that could be spread.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  3. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    They need to test the brain to determine if the Yote had rabies. Can you cover it up or drag it to a spot where the dogs cannot reach?

Ultimately your call if noone got bit. Then I would just burn and bury. If you do burn you could use something like lighter fluid to get it started but I would put a bunch of wood on top of and around it so the fire will get some good coals and hot enough to actually reduce the corpse to ashes. I don't exactly know what you mean by Flash Burn it. Might stink some while it is cooking away LOL!

By the way...Good job thinking quick and knowing how to use the right tool for the job of getting rid of the pest.

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I agree--your critters & you are in danger of a possibly rabid coyote. What's the option, let it wonder off to possibly come back another time. Besides, if it's rabid, you'd be doing a service.

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Well, if you have the stomach for it, chop its head off...bag it and put it in the freezer. Then you can burn the body. You only need the brain for testing.

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    What makes you so sure it was rabid. I'd assume it was just hungry, probably unable to eat since it was shot before--if it couldn't eat because of the injury it was probably desperate.

7. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    It would take a huge fire to burn such an animal off, a little lighter fluid won't do it. Dig a good deep hole and put some rocks and logs over to prevent any scavengers from digging it up. I am not sure what would be gained by cutting the head off, if no person has been exposed then don't expose yourself to that risk. Animals can be strange without being rabid, could be deaf, blind, brain injury or just plain sick.

8. Miss Red

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    Well I shot her "straight in the ear hole" as my dad taught me. Right now she's wrapped in an old mattress, surrounding area has been overed in lyme. The guy on the grader just stopped for a break and came and helped me, palpating gloves for cattle work GREAT for getting her on the mattress. He says he saw her earlier in the morning and she was "just a trottin' with that ol' hole in'r hear I know is her." He also said he thinks the neighbors up the road have been poisoning them, for getting their calves, so I'm tempted to go ahead and burn her. The guy from the county alled about five minutes ago, said this time of year it's more than likely just a poisoned coyote so they're in no hury. Tells me it's time to light her up, because it sounds like they really aren't worried about getting her. Especially since she was shot in the skull, and I "damaged" the testing tissue. They're not sure she has enough brain matter left to test. Really? She was shot with a .22 not a 30.06... There will be brain matter.

No one got hurt, she WAS coming from the neighbors property with all the cattle, and the more I talk about it the more I think I'm just going to head back out, light her up, and watch her burn.

9. Miss Red

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    Quote:The only thing that makes me think it was rabid is: it passed my goats, didn't flick an ear, kept running into things, and didn't react to seeing or hearing me. But, that could also be symptoms of poison so I'm not positive. I've seen plenty of rabid coons, fox, and a stray dog, but never this late in the year and NONE of them acted quite the same. It wasn't twitchy and slow moving like they had been, and didn't have that "sideways walk".

I will say that when we were pwrapping her up the grader commented on how old it looked... So I'm either about to get a REALLY hot fire going or a REALLY deep hole, not sure yet but I'll be back in and let everyone know what happens sometime after 6.

10. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Quote:I said that if you covered and surrounded the thing with wood you would get some really good coals and this would make a hot enough fire. I was thinking like oak firewood.

Noone would seriously think you could just use a little lighter fluid to burn a whole coyote.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by