Waiting on three births this week!!!!! Major Bunny alert

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bargain, Oct 15, 2009.

1. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Our precious little mini rex finally made that nest.....She is due in 1/2 days.

Our full mini rex - Corella due in 2-3 days .....Her nest was ready last week.....

And not to be left out is Dumbo (our lop rabbit with ears so low they drag the cage is due in 1-2....but her nest has been ready for 2 days. Dumbo is our first time mother... I thought I saw something moving in the nest under the fur, but I never touch babies of first time mommies.....so I'll just wait!!!!

I'm a bit nervous and about to wear the path out from house to rabbit pens....

And with all these bunnies, I'm still hoping to get some mini lops or dwarft netherlands......Anyone have some in the Georgia or west Alabama area?

Well, please keep our mommies in your thoughts!!!!

Have a blessed day!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Good luck bunny mommies... [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I had babies born Oct 1. I had bought the doe a few months ago and she was supposed to have already had a litter and been a good mom. Of course they were born on the coldest morning we have had this year and while it seemed they had lots of fur in the box, they were very cold when I checked them and definitely would have died if I hadn't intervened.

I brought the whole nest box inside and put it on a heating pad and warmed them up. Then brought the doe in that night to feed them. She didn't jump right in, was probably nervous, she we laid her on her side and let them nurse. Did this morning and night for about 4 days and then she showed interest in getting in the box with them, so I started taking the box out to her when I did chores and would leave it in with her while outside. She would feed them and I would bring them back in. I am afraid to leave them out now that they are used to being in, but as they get older I will have to start, as they will start getting out of the box! So I will start by leaving them out with their mom during the day for a week or so, then go to full time.

My babies are holland lops and boy are they cute!!

4. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    Hey first time moms won't mind if you check the nest. Best to do it in case she has any dead ones in there. congrats on the babies. Post some pictures so we can see them.

5. ravencreek

ravencreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    All this talk of babies and no pics? Are you crazy?

6. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    If you are worried about Mom being upset with you, and some are, distract her with a treat, then rub your hands in her rabbit litter under her cage, it will cover your smell and smell like her. I know, gross, but it works.

Most of my does are very used to being handled and have no problems with us, but if the does are nervous or aggressive, this should help.

7. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    Quote:Yeah its also a good way to give the mom and babies coccidia too. You want to rub your hands into her fur. that way you will smell like her when you touch the babies.

8. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Okay,,,,,it's a little too cool and breezy to uncover the baby's but I did pet the lop seriously and then touch the babies under her fur blanket ....I felt movement.... Thank you Lord.

After a long morning.....Miss Olivia, mini rex put her little ones in a cozy corner of her nesting box. No, I haven't peeked yet.....

Mommy #3 .....the full size Rex.........has a fabulous nest....She's spun a round burrow that is about 7 inches high and then a side nest.....I simply don't know how she did it.....After the babies arrive, I'll photo this....It's unbelievable,,,,Her run has a wooden box with a lid and I've never seen a burrow job like that from her ever! She's so wide.....I cannot imagine her not having her babies tonight.....I'm getting a bit worried she won't get through the nest......

Okay and then today, my newzealand Flopsy is running frantically around her cagewith 2 pieces of straw,,,,,,I ran and got her a nest box and hay and she's made her nest.... and I didn't think she was pg......asked my husband and he said,,,,,welll, maybe he did take her over to her husband for a date.......So dullah for the bunny moms has been busyl......

So now 2 have had their babies and 2 to go!!!!

Have a blessed weekend y'all.

9. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Here are pics of my litter, they are 2 1/2 weeks. Just starting to explore!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Quote:Yeah its also a good way to give the mom and babies coccidia too. You want to rub your hands into her fur. that way you will smell like her when you touch the babies.

Well, I suppose it could, though I have never had a problem and I have been raising rabbits for over 20 years and never had coccidia with any of my rabbits. I read that tip years ago in a book about raising meat rabbits professionally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by