1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Waiting....waiting....help?!?!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by msbackwoods, Apr 8, 2011.

1. msbackwoods

msbackwoods Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    I have 2 sets of eggs waiting on some babies. When do you give up? Neither set show signs of anything. Duck eggs were set on 3/10 and Chickens on 3/16, these were both done in incubator.

I also have a mallard hen that started sitting on a nest in pen as well around the same time. In the pen we have 3 mallard hens and 1 drake and a pair of East Indies. Several nests and they are sitting (not sure if EI has a nest or not since they keeping them covered when not sitting. Should they be seperated from one another once they hatch, any suggestions.

Lots of questions, but we want some babies soon!

2. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    First off, [​IMG]

I can help with the chicken egg question, but I've never hatched ducks. According to what I counted, your at day 23 on the chicken eggs. Generally chicks hatch 21-23 days. I would wait until Sunday or Monday. There is a "flotation" test you can try to see if the eggs are still viable. Here is the link to the info!:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=383525

Hope this helps and good luck!

3. msbackwoods

Jul 4, 2010
    Thanks, we were thinking about giving them the weekend before giving up hope. I assume from reading the floater instructions we could do this today and keep hope for those that pass the test?

4. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    Yes, you could float them today and that will give you an idea on which to keep and which to toss out. Any eggs your are unsure of, it won't hurt keep them through the weekend too. They just may not do anything.

5. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    I know duck eggs, not chicken eggs. If the duck eggs are Pekin's they are just due. If they are muscovy ducks they aren't due yet. If your incubation temps were a little low, it might take a few more days for them to start hatching. Did you candle them at any point during the incubation to see if they were developing?

6. msbackwoods

Jul 4, 2010
    They are Mallards, we actually did the float test tonight and a few look promising. Gonna hold out a couple of more days to see what happens. The chickens must have known I was talking about them today. When I got home 2 had pipped...we'll just be patient a little longer on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by