1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Waiting!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Candyhl, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Candyhl

Candyhl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    I'm waiting for my very first chicks. I chose to start out with Buff Orpingtons. They seem to be prfect for what I'm looking for. In the meantime, I was just reading that someone's Orps get mean when they introduce new hens to the flock. I'm just wondering if this is everyones issue with Orps? I really hope not because I hope to add a few RIR in the spring and I hope it goes smoothly.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Whenever chickens are added to an existing flock, there is turmoil, fighting and pecking. Chciken society can be brutal. Orpingtons are no worse than others and generally far more mellow than many breeds.

3. Candyhl

Candyhl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    I understand every breed is different and they're just laying claim to what's theirs, just like any other species. I was just wondering what I can expect and if they have the same "aggressive" tendencies around 5-6 months that they would as an adult.

4. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    I just introduced two 6 month old BO pullets to the 2 hens and 1 BO roo that are 1 year today and had nothing other than the normal pecking order ritual for about 5 minutes. I did however follow the look but no touch method for a couple of weeks before putting them in the same pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by