waitn for baby chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by furley1229, Feb 22, 2009.

1. furley1229

furley1229 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    pine grove,ca
    hello,everyone.ive got a question.my silkie hen just started laying 2 weeks ago.silkie roo stays with her but hes not doin his job .no fertile eggs she doesnt want to lay on eggs at all.i just want baby chicks.do i have to wait till spring for them to be in the mood???

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Where are you furley? If it`s not freezing weather there, leave the eggs in the nest. If there`s a chance they will freeze, mark a couple and leave them in the nest. The fresh ones should be collected daily and marked with the date. When she does go broody, give her a couple days to lock onto the nest. Then go to her in the dark and remove the 2 old eggs and put as many fresh eggs under her as she can cover comfortably. You won`t be doing yourself any favors if you put too many under her as they will get moved around and many, not only the ones you can see, will get cold and not hatch. Asilkie should be able to cover 12 of her own eggs. Be patient, she will get broody. It will be worth it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by