Wake up and bed times

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sam1980, Jan 29, 2014.

1. sam1980

sam1980 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    Im in the UK. And at the moment its getting dark at 4pm. Light is approximately 8am.

What time should I let the chickens out their coop into the run. And what time should they go to bed?

Its raining pretty much non stop at the moment and is a around 4 degrees Celsius on a good day.

2. kubota girl

kubota girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    KENTUCKY
    you should probably let them out at 8 am and put them up at about 3:45... they should go up before it gets dark outside.

3. sam1980

sam1980 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    Thank you :)

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I don't have any set times at my place. My birds are ready to come out as soon as there is enough light for them to get down off the roost. They put themselves away as the sun goes down. In bad weather mine usually choose to spend more time in the coop, I leave it up to them.

1 person likes this.
  5. operationindigo

operationindigo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    Mine usually put themselves back in the coop once it's near totally dark. I usually come home right before its totally dark and they've usually already put themselves up in the coop. Sometimes they can figure out how to open their door and let themselves out. I think they like to get up early - sometimes I catch them out when it's still dark.

6. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    My rooster crows usually 7-8 am and the hens are ready to come out and play! They go back in around 445 dusk! I never have to do anything they just know where to go and when!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by