Walgreens PA insinuated child abuse

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by key west chick, Aug 1, 2011.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    So DD took DS to our local Walgreens for his school athletic physical. DS has what we always assumed were horizontal stretch marks on his lower back due to a growth spurt. The PA saw them and was like, "Do you remember being beaten while little?" He was like, "Um, no." DD pipped in and said they were stretch marks. Lady gets all weird and says that shes seem plenty of stretch marks and these are not stretch marks. DS has been to a regular physician for school for years and they have never mentioned them. Now Im ticked that this lady thinks that DS was beaten and those are whip marks. She cleared him for athletics but now Im worried she really thinks he was beaten and I'll get a call from DFACS. Im sure DH will be livid when he finds out. I feel a little guilty cause I put DD in the middle when I told the PA that I gave consent for the physical. She was the one who defended us and spoke up about the marks. [​IMG]

2. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Hey there from "the other side of the state"....

I think you might want to go on the "offensive" here. Call DFACS, get a social worker (and maybe a police officer) to go with you to the PA. Make sure that she understands your child was never beaten and that DFACS takes a written report of it all. CYA....

My wife was with "the department of juveline court judges" here in Ga before the kids were born and a PA might be a "manditory reporter" like a teacher would be.

Just my two cents.....will be praying it all works out for the best!

3. key west chick

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I was just informed she was a Nurse Practicioner, but I guess close enough to a PA. I'll talk it over with DH when he gets home.

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I suspect she is a mandatory reporter. Get your kiddo to a real doctor, and have the real doctor say they are stretch marks. I have them on my knees and hips from growing, and on my belly from the kids. The belly ones are still red 13 years later, but the ones on my knees are thin parallel lines that look a whole lot like scars.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Physician's Assistant and Nurse Practioners are two different field and the PA can spot the difference while the NP in most cases CAN id abuse.

People are just crazy sometimes, jumping the gun! If they question it, go to the dermologist and get a written verification on the stretch marks. Jeez!

6. key west chick

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I wasnt there, I was at work. My DD called and I verified to the NP that she was his sister and was given the ok for the physical. His real doctor has seen them before. Never questioned anything. DS is 16 and years ago hit a growth spurt and voila, stretch marks. They are getting lighter, but they are thin, evenly spaced out and extend from the middle back to lower back.

7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I'll agree she's a manditory reporter, so expect DCFS. Go get him looked out by the family doc (make sure you explain to the doc whar happened, and that you'd like documentation when DCFS does arrive.

8. key west chick

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I talked to DH (he's the one who usually takes DS to his appointments) and he says back when the marks first showed up, he pointed them out to DS's real doctor at his next visit. Doctor looked at DS's chart, noticed the growth spurt and confirmed them to be stretch marks due to rapid growth. So they have been documented for several years now.

9. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I just remembered, my dh has the same stretch marks across his lower back. They shouldn't be uncommon enough to raise red flags. It is great that they have already been documented by your regular doctor. [​IMG] for you because you can pretty much expect child protective services.

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I would call your doctor and ask for a copy of his file where it is noted that he has those marks and that the doctor believed they are stretch marks. Keep that paperwork at your house so that when/if someone shows up at your door, you are already prepared.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by