walk in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AKANana, Feb 18, 2013.

1. AKANana

AKANana New Egg

Feb 18, 2013
    I'm a real newby - I've had my (3) girls since last April.(2012) They've been laying since late August/early September so I think they're happy in their home but I'm looking to build my own coop - one that I can actually walk in to.

Their current digs are ok, just a bit ghetto - about 4 ft high fenced area with screen netting over the top to keep them in. They have a hutch at one end where they roost and a run with nesting boxes at the other. They sometimes lay in the hutch and I have to stoop over to get to it to clean and get the eggs. The run is only about 3 ft high so I have to 'duck walk' to get in to get the stray egg they lay on the ground now and then.

Any design/plan ideas for a walk in coop will be appreciated. A photo would be great! Nothing fancy. They dont need a mansion - just a step or two up from the gheto !!

Blessings to you all,

2. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    [​IMG]

This is a 8x8 walk in coop that I built (all by myself!) that is like an aviary. The door is on the left side. You walk in and the roosts are along the back wall and nest boxes are along the right wall. I also added an additional small roop on the right inbetween the coop and the lean-to. I later built a walk in henhouse addition on the left side in the same shape as the littler coop on the right.

Tammie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by