walk like a rooster...talk like a rooster....

sunket77

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Texas Hill Country!
Ok so I have this splash silkie roo....well he had us guessing for quite some time, even had him entered as a hen in his first show! Finally he crowed! He has a large comb and streamers now so obviously a roo to anyone familiar with the breed. He crows quite a bit, but not that great, he has a raspy voice. He is growing spurs but small and close to his feet on the back side. He occasionally spars with his fellow rooster. At this time however I have never seen him drop his wring, side step or show much dominance. TODAY I say my other rooster mount him and appear to be mating with him and he let him! He even shook off like a hen does after the "act"! DO I have a he/she?? This is really strange, I have noticed some of my hens are laying unfertile eggs, with a two to six ratio! I have one hen that my other rooster LOVES so much that she is missing feathers, my guess is he is playing favorites and my splash roo is not mating at all....
idunno.gif
anyone have a clue what might be going on?

Quote:
I think your splash silkie is using survival mode to the dominant roo. Do you have a place to put him with some of the hens? I would think he would act more roo like away from the dominant roo.

I've seen males of other animals mount another one to show dominance.

You're right about roos playing favorites with their hens. I had the same thing here.

Back
Top Bottom