Walk me through Broody to Chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coffeemama, Mar 5, 2008.

1. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I have a broody banty and I'm going to get some fert. banty eggs from a woman locally to have her (the hen:)) sit on. I have not done the egg thing for years-we usually buy chicks and introduce them to a hen to adopt. She is down low in a box-with the other 4 hens right now. Should I move her? Does she need a light before hatching for chicks to stay warm? When I used to have roos and hens, I just let nature take it's course, but now I want success! Thanks!

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC. Yep it's best to seperate your broody from the rest of the flock to avoid distractions. Keep water and feed close to her nest, so she doesn't have to go far from the eggs to eat, poop and drink. The chicks will hatch in 20 to 21 days after she starts to sit. Chick feeders and chick waterers will need to be placed close to the nest also, so the peeps can eat and drink when needed. Good moms will teach the peeps to eat and drink.

Some folks candle the eggs after 10 or 14 days, however I choose not to disturb the broody.

Oops, the additional heat is a good idea if you are in a cold weather location. It doesn't need to be too warm though.

bigzio

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Thanks for the welcome and the info. We have had good success with buying chicks, but I thought it would be nice to do it a different way this year. I just ordered some beautiful banty ameraucana eggs, but I don't know if I'll risk letter her set on those or not. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by